Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-packed fruit salads - safe to eat?

(16 Posts)
WorryWurta Sat 03-Jan-15 10:20:07

Is it safe to eat those pre-packed fruit salads from he supermarkets? I've read things that say not to in case of listeria/toxo but then there's nothing on the NHS site. DH bought be a 'berry medley' pack and I miss fresh fruit soooo much I'm tempted to eat it but scared. Had a lot of anxiety in this pregnancy which has put me off fresh fruit generally. Trying to face my fears but now not sure which is just me being anxious and which is genuinely a no-no. Do other pregnant women eat pre packed fruit salads?

leanne963 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:12:46

I have ate plenty of tesco prepacked fruit. I'm sure it is fine, I have never even considered it to be on the dangerous list.

I think the thing with fruit and veg is whether it has been cleaned properly.
I'm sure it's fine smile

AnneofCheese Sat 03-Jan-15 11:16:04

Sounds like you might have read an American list of things to avoid - they include all sorts of things which are absolutely fine, like fruit and cold meats, and sushi. Ignore it and go with what the NHS says!

HeyMicky Sat 03-Jan-15 11:24:44

A bit of common sense wouldn't go astray on some of these threads.

Look at the food, think "Would there be a chance of food poisoning normally?", and if not go ahead.

So supermarket sushi sitting in the warm for a while, maybe steer clear. Fresh fruit wrapped in plastic, you'll be fine

m33r Sat 03-Jan-15 11:46:13

I worried about this too but I am out and about loads and concluded that continuing to snack on pre packed fresh fruits (which I've always done and enjoy) is better than snacking on crisps, chocolate and other 'safe' foods (which I din't really like and which I am sure are not as good for my growing baby).

I did really worry at first but managed myself out of it so you're not alone!

DanyStormborn Sat 03-Jan-15 12:46:35

I've not heard that that is risk in is country. There are countries where it is advisable to avoid salad and fruit you haven't peeled yourself but I think it's to do with unsafe water which isn't a problem here. I'm pregnant and I've eaten loads of that type of fruit (M&S ones yummy).

WorryWurta Sat 03-Jan-15 13:15:05

Thanks everyone, that's really helped, so glad it's OK to enjoy :-)

Foggymist Sat 03-Jan-15 13:37:51

How are you getting on dealing with the anxiety WorryWurta, better I hope?

WorryWurta Sat 03-Jan-15 15:43:35

A lot worse but then a lot better, thanks Foggymist !

m33r Sat 03-Jan-15 16:45:56

How far along are you eorry? I ask because I'm 29+2 and I have got loads more relaxed as time has passed so it does - at least for me - get less stressful! smile

WorryWurta Sat 03-Jan-15 17:02:15

I'm 30+1, it has started to get better thanks to counselling but cos I've been hyper anxious all pregnancy I'm slowly trying to figure out what's normal behaviour in pregnancy re risk.

Feelingverydishonest Sat 03-Jan-15 17:04:02

I ate tesco pre packaged fruit every lunch break during pregnancy and my daughters just fine smile

83ash Sat 03-Jan-15 18:03:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToriB34 Sat 03-Jan-15 21:13:18

WorryWurta Mon 05-Jan-15 12:33:11

So glad so many people have eaten it and everything's fine...also kind of pleased it's not just me who's panicked 83ash ! I can tell you from experience you can take it very far lol, until recently I wouldnt' eat ANYTHING preprepared that couldn't be heated, ditto any raw fruits and veggies. Am trying to improve that now.

83ash Mon 05-Jan-15 22:23:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now