Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tonsillitis

(15 Posts)
PerfectlyPosed Sat 03-Jan-15 06:52:13

I've woken up with what feels like razor blades in my throat and unmistakable white spots on my tonsils. Have been expecting it for the last couple of days and have been taking paracetamol but is there anything else I am allowed to take? I am 33 weeks pregnant.

Figfog Sat 03-Jan-15 06:58:29

I'm really sorry as I don't know the answer but I am in exactly the same boat! Paracetamol does not seem to have had any effect so far so I think it might be a trip to the doctors on Monday. So painful!

Hope you feel better soon smile

PerfectlyPosed Sat 03-Jan-15 07:23:11

You poor thing! I have been advised to ring 111 as might get an appointment somewhere to get antibiotics. I'm putting off taking paracetamol at the moment as don't want to get to tonight and not be able to take anymore as I've exceeded the dose.

I hope you feel better soon x

mumteedum Sat 03-Jan-15 07:42:20

Salt water gargle will help but sounds like you need antibiotics asap really.

I have it too just now but hasn't got to white spots stage so warding it off with salt water so far.

ladyflower23 Sat 03-Jan-15 09:32:25

White spots means antibiotics are needed. Get to a gp asap and get well before baby comes!

PerfectlyPosed Sat 03-Jan-15 10:42:31

I have rung 111 and they have said they are only taking urgent calls. I don't know how urgent this is classed as? Paracetamol seems to be helping reduce the pain a bit and does anyone know of any throat sprays that I'm allowed to take. Happy to send DP to the chemist with a shopping list smile

CarrotPuff Sat 03-Jan-15 12:37:27

Gurgle very salty water, it helps. Poor you, I used to have tonsillitis every year flowers

PerfectlyPosed Sat 03-Jan-15 13:14:19

I have resorted to warm lemon and honey and gargling paracetamol. Used to have tonsillitis a lot when I was younger but haven't for years now. Thankfully i don't feel nearly as rough as I have done in the past. DP is also more sympathetic than he normally would be due to pregnancy!

mumteedum Sat 03-Jan-15 13:43:10

Just be careful. If you develop a fever, it can be v serious. I had it once and managed to get to ooh doc on a Sunday. She told me if I'd left it till morning I'd have likely been admitted. Untreated seriously nasty tonsillitis can end up in blood poisoning apparently..

Not to scare you, but if I were you I'd just ring out hours doc and go.

Pico2 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:48:02

I'd treat it as an emergency and call 111 with a view to getting an OOH GP appointment. There is no point chancing it when pregnant.

Lookslikerain Sat 03-Jan-15 14:06:37

I'd second trying to see an OOH GP.

I had tonsillitis at the start of December when I was about 27 weeks. Paracetamol was only really taking the pain away for maybe 2 hours. I persevered for 3 days then saw a doctor. Within 2 doses of antibiotics I felt so much better. I was very aware that I wasn't drinking enough as swallowing hurt so badly, so dehydration was part of my reason for seeing a doctor.

Hope you can see someone over the weekend. It's nasty. flowers

ladyflower23 Sat 03-Jan-15 14:18:06

Sorry I don't know any throat sprays that are ok in preg. Have managed to get to 28 weeks without getting it so very happy so far! Send do anyway and see what he can find. Or honey in hot water is prob good then you get to rehydrate as well. I agree with others to see doc as soon as you can as can get very nasty very quickly. Had a night in hospital on a drip last year with it so I always go and pester for antibiotics as soon as I can now. Still too much of a wimp to have the little buggers out though!

JennyBlueWren Sat 03-Jan-15 14:24:11

I know it's not strong enough but Strepsils do help a little.

dustyovaries Sat 03-Jan-15 15:19:09

You could ask you pharmacy about difflam rinse to help numb the pain a bit. That's what I've been using for my sore throat x

PerfectlyPosed Sat 03-Jan-15 17:52:32

Thanks for all your comments. I have been dozing on and off all day and feeling much more human. Have also been drinking plenty of hot lemon and honey (why have I never had this before?!) and gargling paracetamol. Will see how I feel in the morning and phone out of hours if I feel any worse. No sign of temperature as yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now