Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

which to use first: TENs, birthball, water..

(7 Posts)
silverfishlondon Fri 02-Jan-15 18:57:54

I'm hoping to have a homebirth in a couple of weeks, and have the following available for pain relief: TENs machine, birth ball, bath/shower, gas and air from midwife. For what it's worth I've also been practicing some hyponobirthing /relaxation techniques.

Which should I use first ? Guess I want to start with 'weakest' and move up as it stops being effective enough. Also heard should avoid lying in the bath early on as can slow things down..

Any tips ? Thanks

caledonianclown Fri 02-Jan-15 19:09:14

I would start with birth ball, then tens (whilst still on birth ball) then go for a bath, then gas and air last. That's what I did and worked well for me, although didn't have home births. You can also combine more than one of these options i.e. Birth ball and tens or birth ball and g&a, so you're getting a double whammy if you see what I mean. although obviously don't combine tens with the bath! Some people find some things more effective than others, you'll soon work out what option/combo works best for you. Good luck smile

HupTwoThreeFour Fri 02-Jan-15 21:43:29

I did birthing ball, then TENS machine, then gas and air and birthing pool at the same time. By the time the TENS machine had stopped being effective, the birthing pool wasn't enough pain relief and I needed the gas and air.

Sounds like you are talking about a normal bath rather than birthing pool? If you're not able to give birth in there I'd probably go for the bath in the early stages before tens machine and gas and air.

Kelbells Sat 03-Jan-15 12:24:38

I had very similar for DS would do bath/ shower,then get tens i whilst I the birthing ball! Once the tens comes off at all you lose all benefit so start early and leave it on unless you get into water. Hypnobirthing breathing techniques were amazing for me and gave DH something to do, coaching me through the breaths/contractions. Also, have you thought about paracetamol? If the mw suggested it at 7cm you'll probably want to punch her smile but the way pain relief works, if you start taking it every 4-6 hours early on it should help too!

silverfishlondon Sat 03-Jan-15 21:16:14

Yeah it's a regular bath and shower, don't intend to give birth in there but hoping to relax in it ( and hoping I can get out again). That's interesting with TENS, so once I stop it that's it and won't help if I change my mind and stick it back on? Thanks for the tip about paracetamol. I have heard it mentioned but guess it gets overlooked as not serious enough drug! But every little helps!

Kelbells Sun 04-Jan-15 20:57:30

TENS builds up so if you take it off you have to start from scratch again (and during more intense contractions) (if that makes sense!). It is also useful to practice with it during Braxton hicks - only after 37 weeks - so that when you're using it for the 'real' contractions you know how it works and how all the settings affect you! smile

bm1980 Mon 05-Jan-15 09:23:31

I'd definitely recommend a TENS from the moment your contractions start. I did this and I didn't need any further pain relief. This wasn't planned I just managed to get to fully dilated with just the TENS without even realising how far gone I was! It didn't have any impact whilst I was pushing but it really helped me to cope with the contractions and I'll be doing the same this time round. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now