Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bedding for a newborn - when can you start to use GroBags...

(14 Posts)
wawabear Fri 02-Jan-15 16:28:19

... and what do use in the meantime for when they are tiny?

My friend used GroBags for her baby from Day One and said that is fine but I have heard people say that you can't use them until they are 8lbs.

Is this true? If so, what do you use in the meantime?

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 16:29:54

I've got a gro bag which says it's for newborns. I've got swaddling muslins too in case she hates the gro bag.

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 16:37:02

I checked my gro bag and it doesn't say a weight but it does say baby shouldn't be so tiny they slip right into it with their head hidden. So I guess we will use it if the baby is big enough and if she's tiny then we will use the swaddling things.

Zahrah5 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:43

Great question, was puzzled about the same.

Regarding swaddling, (first time mom to be)
seems to me it is opposing, to swaddle newborn is opposite of the advice of no blankets or other items in the crib.
So how safe is it to swaddle?

dementedpixie Fri 02-Jan-15 16:49:50

older grobags used to be ok from just over 7lbs but newer designs have a higher weight limit of 8lb 8oz - supposed to be due to a new British Standard for baby sleeping bags

gro.co.uk/faqs/about-grobag-baby-sleep-bags - more FAQs about grobag sleeping bags

Maxis1 Fri 02-Jan-15 17:25:26

My midwife said not to use grow bags before the baby is 2-3 months old.
she recommnended a celular blanket that should not be placed higher than the babies check leaving the arms outside. she then mentioned to tuck it under the matress to keep it from moving.
Just hope it wont be as cold anymore when I bring the baby home!

dementedpixie Fri 02-Jan-15 17:34:32

grobags are fine to use if the child is the right weight and their head doesnt fit through the neck of it. Did she say why you should wait until 2-3 months old?

weeblueberry Fri 02-Jan-15 17:57:59

We used swaddle blankets until about 4 months then sleeping bags from then on in. We were always really lucky though that she wanted to be all wrapped up for sleep.

lavendersun Fri 02-Jan-15 18:01:41

We used them from the start, well on arriving home from the NICU at 12 weeks which was technically 1 week corrected.

The NICU used them too - I suppose they just have to be the right size - although am no expert.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 02-Jan-15 18:07:56

The GroBag brand does a newborn swaddle which is especially for babies too small for their sleeping bags. I bought mine in Mothercare. It's safer than blankets as it wraps snugly around them so cannot go over their mouths. I also bought a different swaddle by a company called Summer which zips up to the chin, so again can't go over face.

I have some 0-3 mo GroBags but I think I will leave them till baby is a few weeks old, or ask HV.

Christelle2207 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:12:01

Our kid needed to be changed 2 or 3 times in the night so we didn't find bags practical for first couple of months. We used cellular blankets, it was summer though so a bit different.

perfectlybroken Fri 02-Jan-15 18:13:33

I swaddled mine for the first few weeks which they loved, then went into grobags. I can't see why you couldn't use them from birth though.

FATEdestiny Fri 02-Jan-15 18:16:08

I used grobags from birth.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Fri 02-Jan-15 18:18:57

Sleeping bags, if small enough, can be used from birth. Like this Sterntaler one, with zip-off arms: www.amazon.co.uk/Sterntaler-Sleeping-Bag-Henri-Size/dp/B00BLMBA1O

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now