Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So blooming itchy!!

(10 Posts)
lilmisslibrarian Fri 02-Jan-15 13:16:20

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice-I currently 17 weeks pregnant and over the past couple of weeks I have developed very sensitive skin. I have had to change soaps and washing powders but it isn't working at all!
My skin is killing me, my legs are really sore and (tmi warning) my groin is really raw and uncomfortable.
With it being the festives my docs and midwives are closed- the pharmacists wouldn't even give me advice on antihistamine creams without talking to a doctor and I don't know if it's worthy enough to call 111 cause it's hardly an emergency!
Does anyone know of any antihistamines we can take or any other suggestions before I scratch myself raw!
TIA smile

cosmicglittergirl Fri 02-Jan-15 13:23:04

Hi, I was really itchy with my first pregnancy to the point I was scratching at my skin with a hairbrush. I'd tried all manner of creams/calamine etc. After a long google search I found the recommendation of dandelion root tea and I thought I may as well. The itching stopped pretty quickly and didn't come back (I drank it until the end). I'd have a cup a day. I told a friend about it who had the same problem and she said it worked too.

I think you'd have to check with the doctor about antihistamines.

Wonkyparsnip Fri 02-Jan-15 13:24:47

First do see your midwife asap as itchiness can be a problem. (Liver problem??) I had it and had loads of tests but luckily (!!!) I just had pregnancy itch. It's a bugger though. Lots of sympathy from me.

cosmicglittergirl Fri 02-Jan-15 13:33:48

Oh yes, I should've said that too wonkyparsnip, I checked with my midwife first it wasn't anything sinister. Then looked for a remedy.

lilmisslibrarian Fri 02-Jan-15 13:48:44

Thanks all, I'll call triage at the hospital then and speak to them. I was just worried that I'd be wasting their time over something as silly as itching!

Allstoppedup Fri 02-Jan-15 13:54:54

I had PEP rash all over when pregnant and it was miserable so you have my sympathy!

I saw my Dr in the end as I couldn't ssleep I was so itchy. I ended up with antihistamines, doublebase cream and a few anti itching shower creams etc...it helped a bit but I had to have steroids and steroid cream two weeks after DS was born as it wasn't getting better.

My skin is still sensitive now (DS is one) but obviously much easier to manage!

Good luck. flowers

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 15:06:16

I started itching about 16 weeks and had a rash, I was told by midwives and two GPs that it was nothing to worry about, that because I had a rash it wasn't anything more serious etc. anyway I finally had enough and asked for tests on my liver function and was diagnosed with obstetric cholestasis. I don't have 'typical' symptoms - I have a rash down my neck, arms and chest. My wee did go a bit dark and my poo went paler. There's nothing they can actually do to treat the itch (sadly) but the baby needs delivering early as there is a risk of stillbirth, so please ask for the blood test.

Number3cometome Fri 02-Jan-15 15:21:51

Please get checked for OC, my sister had this when pregnant with my niece, she had to be born at 37 weeks due to the risk of stillbirth.

Not worth the risk for a simple blood test, best of luck x

mrs2cats Fri 02-Jan-15 15:37:07

You need to be checked. Are you sure there are no doctors' surgeries open at all? Mine is open until 6 today. There will be emergency doctors available somewhere.

It's a while since I was last pregnant, but then I could go down to the midwives unit at the hospital out of hours if something was really worrying me.

I had Obstetric Cholestasis when pregnant and it is dangerous condition for baby. You would need to be regularly monitored if you had OC. Mine started quite late in pregnancy which totally threw the doctors and midwives but, as Gingerbread above shows, it's not always a typical condition - hers was early and different symptoms to mine. Fortunately a student midwife was suspicious of my symptoms.

The 'trouble' with anti histamines is that it may make the baby sleepy too. I took some at the time when I was absolutely desperate and then spent the next morning really worried cos the baby had stopped moving.

lilmisslibrarian Fri 02-Jan-15 17:31:57

Hi, spoke to triage midwife who thinks its best to take any antihistamine and see how it goes. I have no other symptoms but will call the surgery on Monday to speak to the midwife then if it resumes. The midwife said to try the simple things first but jumping to worrying conclusions and after taking the antihistamine I feel better. It's a 24hr triage service and she said if it came back I was to go in.
Thanks for all the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now