Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone successfully treated thrush in pregnancy?

(9 Posts)
PontypineNumber9 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:20:51

I am 33 weeks pregnant and have had recurring thrush since I was about 13 weeks. It's not something I usually suffer from but I was told I had a UTI at 12 weeks (no symptoms) and given antibiotics. The antibiotics made me really sick (I wasn't ever actually sick with morning sickness) and as a result of taking them I also got thrush which I have not been able to get rid of.
At the moment I am using canesten cream but it seems like that just treats the symptoms, not the actual infection, and as I'm pregnant I can't take the oral pill or use the peasary. Does anyone have any wonder cures? (Please!)

FeatherFeather11 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:28:54

You can use the pessary - my gp prescribed it to me along with the cream at my 31w appointment. I'm cured! Go see your gp!

PontypineNumber9 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:30:27

Oh really? That is great news! Will make an appointment tomorrow. Thanks.

sebsmummy1 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:32:03

Yep you can take the pessary. I am only 5 weeks and have thrush and it was cheaper to buy the pessary and cream over the counter than it was to get them via prescription.

MyNameIsButterfly Thu 01-Jan-15 22:33:15

Definitely go and see your GP, you should only use certain treatments for trush whilst pregnant. Your GP will prescribe you a suitable treatment. I had it first time when pregnant and got a pessary, it clear it up whit a day.

Permanentlyexhausted Thu 01-Jan-15 22:41:30

Yes, you can use the pessary, although it wasn't a wonder cure for me. I virtually had a weekly repeat prescription for it. It was a very hot summer when I was pregnant though which didn't help. Mine started in the same way - antibiotics for a UTI which upset the usual yeast balance. It was instantly cured by giving birth!

If you can try to cut down on sugar in your diet, that might help.

PenguinPoser Thu 01-Jan-15 22:47:22

Your GP will either give a one off pessary (higher dose) or a longer course of lower dose ones - I had a 3 day course prescribed which worked fine. Perfectly safe smile

PontypineNumber9 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:53:15

Thanks all. This is such a relief. Will see the GP asap.

I was prescribed the pessary too - I was just told not to use the plastic applicator, and to insert it myself. No problems and it cleared it up after struggling with just using the cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now