Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moses Basket Questions

(9 Posts)
misseskimo Thu 01-Jan-15 20:56:36

I bought two moses baskets on ebay (actually only wanted one, but the guy wanted £6.50 for both and literally lived down the road from me, so thought bargain!) When I picked them up, the guy explained how he hoped we could make better use out of them as both his twins refused to sleep in them despite their best efforts... The baskets look really clean and well kept, and do indeed look like they've barely been used. Admittedly I've had them in storage for about 18m as they were bought for someone else who then decided they wanted brand new, so I ended up keeping them in the spare room where I forgot all about them until now! I'm now due myself in July, and thought I'd make use of them rather than spend out.

I have two questions. First, can you get any stand for any moses basket? I'm pretty sure these are from Asda, as I remember looking online for them at the time of buying to see their usual price (£25 each), and I have just seen that Sainsburys are offering their Clair de Lune stands for £12-15 atm depending on whether you want rocking or not. Will one of these fit? And what's best, rocking or not?

My second question is relating to bedding. I've read that you mustn't re-use mattresses, so even though they barely look used, I am going to buy a new one of those - Again, are these generic, or do I have to buy it from where the basket was from? Also, the fabric on it such as the hood and lining, can this be washed and re-used, or should I chuck it and buy brand new too?

Part of me is wondering whether it is worth just getting rid of these and buying new, by the time I buy a new mattress and lining etc. it may end up being a similar price. But I'd like to at least see if it's worth using the used one (with new mattress) first!

marinerkk Thu 01-Jan-15 21:08:04

We were in the same position. Got a couple of new mattresses from amazon, they are standard size I think. All the lining and hood comes off to be washed and ironed etc. You can then buy specific Moses basket sheets from matalan, Asda, mothercare etc

blackwidow74 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:45:01

Stands are universal so can be used with baby baths as well as the basket ... yo check mattress it should have size printed 0n label attached along the edge somewhere smile

bellaboo88 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:55:09

Both mine are 2nd hand. Ive washed linings/hoods and bought mattresses from Argos. I hope to use pillow cases instead of sheets...heard of it before & ive plenty!

Never knew the stands could be used for baths thanks!!

misseskimo Sat 03-Jan-15 11:51:19

Cool thank you all. I'll just wash the fabrics then (if its a boy, as annoyingly these are both blue!) and get a stand and new mattress! Hopefully I've made the right choice with moses basket, and my two cats won't try and make it into another bed! wink

needaholidaynow Sat 03-Jan-15 13:54:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rallytog1 Sat 03-Jan-15 14:07:39

If it's a girl, I don't suppose she'll mind blue fabrics op wink

Tranquilitybaby Sat 03-Jan-15 14:17:08

All the fabrics are washable yes and noses mattresses universal size.

We've got a 13 year old Moses basket from our first chikd in the loft. I'm not sure if it's ok to use now or not.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 03-Jan-15 14:42:27

Re mattress - mother care have one reduced to 6.99 in the sale that is a heck of a lot better (thicker and better quality feeling foam) than the one in Argos or Asda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now