Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

am i a candidate for c-section?

(16 Posts)
weelamb123 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:33:20

I am almost 12 weeks with dc2. With dc1 I had an emergency c-section due to fetel distress. Basically brought on by induced labour because i had PE at 40+5 weeks. Dc2 is fit and healthy and is almost 9. My midwife has referred me to a consultant led clinic cos complications in first labour. And said I should discuss what method I plan to give birth by: Vaginal or elective CS. I just presumed I would be expected to give birth naturally as it was such a long time ago. I would however prefer to have another section.anyone else had similar experience xx

Firsttimemummy33 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:38:37

Because of the previous c section you will be able to choose to have another one or try for vaginal birth.

MuffinMcLay23 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:40:07

There are risks and benefits with both options, vbac and elcs. If you want an elcs you can have one - no one can force you to vbac against your wishes although most hospitals in the nhs will encourage you to vbac unless there's a specific reason not to.
I am having an elcs after extensive research on whether to try a vbac or not and encountered no resistance at all from the consultant who was quite happy that I understood the pros and cons and was making an informed choice.

blueshoes Thu 01-Jan-15 20:22:59

Like you, I had an emcs after an induction which resulted in fetal distress.

Just ask for a section. I did and had to have a consultation with a senior midwife to make sure I understood all the risks of a cs. I have a track record of recovering well from a cs so I thought it was lower risk than a VBAC (and certainly much lower than another emcs). I was only about 5 cm dilated when I had my emcs and never birthed vaginally. It took a while but the consultant finally agreed to an elcs when I was 36 weeks. dh and I were elated.

Sadly, the hospital did not have success stats for people in my position going for VBAC and I did not want to risk birthing like a first time mum so thought that elcs was the best way to go and it was, hth.

Racheyg Thu 01-Jan-15 20:24:24

wee - I am in a similar situation. I had a emcs 18 months ago and i am nearly 19 weeks pregnant with no 2. I have an appt with the consultant in Feb and I am interested to see what they have to say. I am nervous about a vbac as I had no problems after surgery and healed well.

I hope your pregnancy goes well. x

weelamb123 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:54:46

Thanks girls. I'll do some research xx

Syd35 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:05:50

Hi - I am also in a similar position. Had DS by emcs due to PE late on in pregnancy (this was 7 years ago).

Now 19 weeks and this time round I feel I would prefer to go for an elective cs, I have an appointment this month to discuss the options.

Congrats and here's hoping we all get the outcome we want.

EstRusMum Thu 01-Jan-15 23:47:39

I had an EMCS almost 10 years ago after waters breaking, induction and not progressing. I decided to go for ELCS this time. I read loads of statistics, information and forums before went to see consultant. On my 3rd consultant appointment I was given the date. And it's tomorrow.wink

weelamb123 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:06:16

Where's the best sites to do your research online x

Number3cometome Fri 02-Jan-15 16:33:14

Yes you can choose.

I had a EMCS for eclampsia (fits in labour) with DC1 then an ELCS for DC2 (although technically I had to have it as I developed pre-eclampsia again)

This time I have been told an ELCS under a general would be the most likely outcome, although I am now wavering over a VBAC purely because I hate staying in hospital, although I strongly suspect my consultant will tell me this is a ridiculously dangerous choice and just to get on with the ELCS again.

Meplusyouequals4 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:34:07

When I has DD1 (who is 5) she was an undiagnosed breach and I managed to get to 9cm before they found this out. So I had emergency section.

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant with DD2 and I have a planned section booked. After lengthy discussions with both partner and consultant, it was decided that it would be a section this time too. I was given the choice to have a natural birth but for me a section is what I want.

Do you want a section? Or would you prefer a natural birth?

weelamb123 Fri 02-Jan-15 22:40:26

I would rather have another section. I'm too scared to xx

Number3cometome Sat 03-Jan-15 07:14:24

Let your consultant know, it's perfectly normal to feel like that and the options are there for us ladies. Stay strong with your choice and even if you change your mind it is still ultimately up to you on the day. Best of luck op x

Micah Sat 03-Jan-15 07:23:05

Ask if your hospital runs a vbac clinic.

I got to talk through the risks, pros, cons, and discuss my previous birth, what led to the emcs, and whether it was likely to affect a second birth.

I got all the facts and figures, and also discussed the vbac procedure, induction, pain relief, could I request a section at any point...

Very, very useful. Gave me a lot to think about and meant I made a fully informed decision.

I was sent away at 32 weeks with lots of well researched reading material, and asked to go back at 36 weeks with my decision, so no pressure, plenty of time to make up my mind.

Mummytogoldie Sat 03-Jan-15 07:49:47

I had emergency section with dd1 and could then choose with dd2. I choose planned section and found it a nice experience, there were problems found with adhesions in this section from my 1st one so it was lucky I choose the planned one. However my best friend had emergency section with her 1st then went on and had a successful vbac so the choice is yours. Do whichever feels right for you. My consultant was excellent and gave me all the information so I could make an informed choice x

Meplusyouequals4 Sat 03-Jan-15 16:17:54

wee if that's how you feel and im with you on that, I would tell your consultant. It's your choice at the end of the day.

If that's what you want then just be honest with them.

It's also nice to know exactly when baby is going to arrive not oh it's gonna be around this time lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: