Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Increased thirst at 6 weeks

(14 Posts)
Gillian1980 Thu 01-Jan-15 01:38:47

Has anyone else got massively increased thirst?

I've never been a person who drinks much at all throughout the day. My DH always nags me about it and encourages me to up my fluid levels.

Well for the past 2 days I am just thirsty all the time. Nothing seems to quench it!

I'm drinking tea, lemonade, water, squash, juice, milk etc etc.

As soon as I've finished a drink my mouth feels bone dry and I have to start another one. It doesn't help that I have to go down 2 flights of stairs to the loo - I'm up and down them like a yoyo with all the weeing!

Anyone else getting this?!

Minorchristmascrisis Thu 01-Jan-15 01:57:19

Get checked for gestational diabetes - not sure at what point it can start but that can be a symptom so the earlier diagnosis the better I would have thought.

Sonics Thu 01-Jan-15 08:36:29

One of the early pg symptoms is increased thirst but I guess it depends how much it's increased and how thirsty you are. I know I've been through phases of being ridiculously thirsty at different points in my pregnancy - some nights getting through 3 pints of water but then it subsides and goes back to a normal level again. I'd say keep an eye on it but if it continues and you're worried definitely mention it to your mw. Your body is doing an awful lot of work, especially at this early stage (like increasing your volume of blood, for example) so it might just really need the extra fluids.

leanne963 Thu 01-Jan-15 09:14:55

I had terrible increased thirst around 4/5 weeks as I don't drink enough as it is anyway and my body was just telling me I am dehydrated! Was my first symptom!!
Congratulations x

Jaffakake Thu 01-Jan-15 09:22:42

I get massively increased thirst. Most nights I drink about a pint throughout the night, sometimes two. I chug squash like it's going out of fashion. I'm 27 weeks now & there's nothing wrong with me so far!

I probably urr on the side of caution though - last time, I swear the only time I was sick was due to dehydration.

Fatlegs Thu 01-Jan-15 09:32:02

I became very thirsty around the same time also, but I craved sparkling water, still water tastes awful I know I know, super weird!!
And I still have sparking to this day, can only drink still with squash!!
Not sure if I was dehydrated though, I was still drinking a lot of tea still decaf

AntsMarching Thu 01-Jan-15 09:44:34

I had this in both my pregnancies. With the second I also got massive headaches from the dehydration. It settled out by the time I hit 12 weeks. Just keep drinking, but try to drink something with sugar in it (like Powerade) as that helps your body adsorb the liquid rather than it passing straight through. I also had a terrible craving for ice and used to eat ice cubes, not sure if that was related to the thirst or just a weird craving.

TheScenicRoute Thu 01-Jan-15 11:20:27

I had this! Don't forget you are increasing your blood volume right now, but you need to get checked out for diabetes just incase.

Gillian1980 Thu 01-Jan-15 11:49:59

Thanks all.

I had my bloods done this week and no concerns around diabetes so all good there. Will keep an eye on it though.

I guess as previous posters have said, the body is doing lots of extra work and needs hydrating.

CarrotPuff Thu 01-Jan-15 16:10:34

The day I found out (I was 4+2) I probably drank about 10 pints of water. I also had a horrid cold which could have been a factor.

Your blood volume increases by 40-50%, so it's extra 2l or so!

It's a quite common symptom, but obviously mention to the MW if worried.

Oh and congrats on your pregnancy flowers

RichardParkerTheTiger Thu 01-Jan-15 16:16:08

Congrats grin and yes, I had this in both pregnancies.

Frolicacid Thu 01-Jan-15 16:32:11

Yes!!! I'm 6 weeks and cannot stop drinking today. Nothing is touching the thirst. I thought maybe it was because I was really sick yesterday so must be dehydrated.

Lemonade or hot water is doing it for me. I've vomited that much sparking water in the past 2 weeks that I can't face it again.

ToAvoidConversation Thu 01-Jan-15 16:36:13

I had this too and I'm so glad I listened to my body as I was ridiculously thirsty at 4/5 weeks and hyperemesis started at 6 weeks and I ended up very dehydrated.

Your blood volume increases by about 50% so it does explain why you need so much extra fluid.

Littlemissjt Thu 01-Jan-15 23:52:45

I've been the same. I've found ice lollies have helped a bit too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now