Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Drank over limit?

(51 Posts)
gabrielle1201 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:35:35

I had a few drinks and had 750ml of west coast coller (4%) will this effect my baby? Only drank it once now and didn't even realise tbh how much I had. Any advice would be grateful xx

SoonToBeSix Wed 31-Dec-14 22:37:30

Do you mean you had a few drinks on one occasion? Then no it won't affect your baby don't worry.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 31-Dec-14 22:39:41

A quick google search tells me that's 3 units of alcohol. Current advice is no alcohol at all, but until recently it was that they saw no harm in 1-2 units once a week or so.

You've drunk more than the recommended amount, but the chance of harm as a one of is small.

The real damage, with things like FAS is sustained, ie daily, consumption of 4+ units I think.

I'm sure baby will be fine, but I wouldn't do it again.

gabrielle1201 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:39:51

I drank the whole bottle in one sitting would I be okay?

divingoffthebalcony Wed 31-Dec-14 22:41:48

I don't think three units in one sitting is likely to do any harm, but I wouldn't do it again.

thinkingaboutthis Wed 31-Dec-14 22:43:49

A few drinks plus 750ml of something sounds like a lot? It's very unlikely to have affected your baby as a one off though. Binge drinking in pregnancy does carry a small risk so depends on how many units this was.

Foetal Alcohol Syndrome is not common though and is associated with heavy drinking throughout pregnancy not a one off.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this.

gabrielle1201 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:47:16

I only had the 750ml n felt sick after it so stopped won't b happening again

divingoffthebalcony Wed 31-Dec-14 22:48:45

The 750ml bottle works out at 3.3 units, so it depends what else you had before that.

And, to be honest, even if that was a dangerous amount, there's not much you can do about it now.

thinkingaboutthis Wed 31-Dec-14 22:51:24

OK, so only 3 units of alcohol. Really, don't worry - that's not a binge. You shouldn't drink it every night but every now and again won't have done any harm.

gabrielle1201 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:13:37

That's alright I'm drinking plenty of water to flush it out so not again

AlpacaMyBags Thu 01-Jan-15 00:38:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eltonjohnsflorist Thu 01-Jan-15 00:43:11

3 units isn't "a fair bit" to drink- there isn't any evidence that is harmful. How far gone are you OP?

I wouldn't worry at all.

gabrielle1201 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:51:00

6 months

DanyStormborn Thu 01-Jan-15 14:15:42

Drinking has the biggest effect on the baby in the first trimester as that is when the brain and nervous system develop most. Although studies vary between saying no alcohol is safe and some is okay there is a lot that says after the first trimester 1-2 units a week is safe so your one-off at 6 months pregnant wouldn't concern me personally.

blackwidow74 Thu 01-Jan-15 15:39:47

How can you not realise how much you drank? Being pregnant is always on my mind and heavily influences my decisions whether to do something or not ... whether it has caused damage or not now is a little late to be questioning after you've consumed the amount!

GlitzAndGigglesx Thu 01-Jan-15 15:49:38

I don't get how you can't realise how much you've had to drink. Alcohol in moderation is safe but I don't think its worth the risk

SoonToBeSix Thu 01-Jan-15 16:37:43

Am sure op is stressed enough without judgy comments!

blackwidow74 Thu 01-Jan-15 16:46:47

Oh I'm sorry ... didn't realise we had to hold back on an honest response for fear of offending someone ... I apologise OP!

thinkingaboutthis Thu 01-Jan-15 16:48:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

blackwidow74 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:01:08

grin then that's what I am!

Eltonjohnsflorist Thu 01-Jan-15 17:05:24

6 months you'll be fine. One week I had 2 small glasses wine and 1/2 a lager and that was probably more than I should've but I can't even make myself feel guilty - I'm not bothered. It'll be ok!

merlehaggard Thu 01-Jan-15 17:05:47

When I was pregnant, but did not yet know, I was on holiday and was drinking 4/5 units some nights. I wouldn't have done this if I had known but there were no complications from doing this.

I agree though, that when pregnant you should be v aware of how much you've drunk.

OddFodd Thu 01-Jan-15 17:06:00

There's bugger all evidence that small quantities of alcohol harm foetuses. Don't worry about it OP.

PisforPeter Thu 01-Jan-15 17:09:04

Don't worry, it's fine, not the end of the world, HNY & best of luck with baby X

diddlediddledumpling Thu 01-Jan-15 17:10:54

if someone was refilling your glass and you were distracted by chatting at a party, you might not know you had drank the whole bottle until someone said there was none left. very easily done, I imagine, esp on NYE.
Some sanctimonious twattery going on here....
op I am 100% sure this one off has not harmed your baby. don't beat yourself up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now