Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Perineal massage - what did you use?

(11 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Wed 31-Dec-14 18:54:31

Tried it properly for the first time tonight and, holy fuck.....It hurts! I used some diagrams off Google so I am fairly sure I am doing it right.

Also I think I got over-enthusiastic and grazed myself as there was some blood afterwards sad

It has kind of scared me, thinking that if that's why I can do with my fingers, what is a baby's head going to do?!

But I wonder if this is because I am using water based lubricant. Do I maybe need something more...moisturising, like an oil? To help the stretch?

Any experiences or tips gratefully received!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 31-Dec-14 18:59:16

Olive oil is fine to use. It shouldn't really hurt (sting slightly maybe but not hurt) and definitely shouldn't cause you to bleed.

I'd give yourself chance to heal, then start again more gentle and gradual.

cosmicglittergirl Wed 31-Dec-14 19:04:45

Coconut oil is fine too. I found the sensation a bit unpleasant at first. Did it after a bath which helped.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 31-Dec-14 19:09:54

Some fancy oil from weleda.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 31-Dec-14 19:14:43

Thanks all. I did it after shower but might try bath next time. I am not sure whether I over stretched the skin or nicked it with my nails. Either way, have an ongoing ring of fire down there now shock

Will try olive oil in a couple of days then.

Now panicking I have left it all too late as I'm 35+3 already!

TheScenicRoute Wed 31-Dec-14 20:50:56

Oh dear, but you have made me giggle.

I need to start as well. Will try tomorrow, joy oh joy.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 31-Dec-14 21:05:54

How far along are you scenic?

bloody DH keeps singing Ring of Fire to me. angry

TimefIies Wed 31-Dec-14 21:06:49

I used the mothercare own brand perineal gel. By the time I reached the right number of weeks to start though, I could barely reach, so only did it twice...

cosmicglittergirl Wed 31-Dec-14 22:57:25

I haven't bothered this time (30 weeks) as I can't really reach.

leanne963 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:29:37

Oh Jeez, I didn't even know this was a thing that was recommended to do. I feel like such a naive first time mum lol.

Tearing doesn't sound fun though so I may give it a go in a few months! MN is so informative!! Thanks ladies!!

Sonics Thu 01-Jan-15 08:41:27

I've been using the weleda oil as well but just wanted to jump in to say what a pain the whole thing is! I'm following the instructions but really don't know if I'm doing it right. It's so awkward with a bump as well and just the most undignified process - guess that's good prep for labour though!

Some websites suggest to get your partner involved but I just think that would be so awkward and it is the least sexual thing ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now