Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rubella

(7 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Wed 31-Dec-14 16:32:13

Hello everyone, had an appt with the midwife yesterday and got the results from the blood tests- everything came back fine except it picked up that I'm not immune to Rubella. ?
I had the MMR jab when I was younger but apparently not everyone is immune from the jab.
How common is rubella? Little bit worried now as I know it can be more common in children?
Did anyone else's blood work come back like this!
Always something to panic about!

FATEdestiny Wed 31-Dec-14 17:13:49

I had a rubella jab as a young teenager - aged 12 or 13 or so? I think it is done in your second year at secondary school. Did you miss this?

Rubella is dangerous to the unborn child, not necessarily you.

Your GP should offer you a rubella jab.

curlykale Wed 31-Dec-14 17:46:40

I wasn't immune either when pregnant although had been immunised as a child. Don't know how common rubella is but suspect not very - maybe ask your midwife or doctor.

BUT you cannot have the rubella vaccination when pregnant as it is a live vaccine and this would be dangerous. You will need the mmr after you give birth (I had it the day after DD was born and then booster a couple of months later iirc). Am pregnant again and luckily the immunity has stuck this time.

Try not to worry - there's nothing you can do now about your lack of immunity other than avoid someone if you know they have it.

Newcy Wed 31-Dec-14 17:49:24

I have noticed in my green notes a mark against rubella on the blood tests, I had the mmr jab when I was a child, but I also had rubella when I was 7 so I put it down to that. I am back at the midwife on Tuesday so going ask her! Sorry that doesn't help much! smile

Findingthisdifficult1234 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:57:30

Yea I had all the jabs when I was younger- but suppose they didnt work I Donno?
You are right- I need to just forget about it and hope I don't catch it. Not alot I can do now if I wanted the jab as like someone's said you can't have it when pregnant anyway. So ill get one as soon as I can after birth smile

AuntieStella Wed 31-Dec-14 19:08:18

No, you most definitely should not be immunised against rubella during pregnancy (though IIRC, there have been no documented cases of harm amongst those who have accidentally received the jab when PG though).

The jab at secondary school was abandoned years ago, and it's all down to receiving the two doses of MMR as a small child. In theory that should confer sufficient protection. But it does wear off after a few decades (and some people might not form a good immune response anyhow) so it is definitely possible not to be immune even if you received the jabs on schedule.

OP: all you can do is rely on the herd. There aren't usually that many cases of rubella in general circulation, so it's not something to panic about. Do get another jab post-delivery though.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:13:42

Thankyou Stella, fingers crossed I don't come across this in pregnancy! Is scary- I had no idea that I should've asked for a test when I started TTC, only realise now due to google!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now