Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

41 weeks and it doesn't seem to be happening!

(6 Posts)
Chloris33 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:01:42

Got to 41 weeks today and for the second time midwife tried and failed to do a stretch and sweep because my cervix is still so high up (posterior) and closed. Felt quite gutted nothing has progressed. I had kept an open mind about the birth in other respects but never thought I'd end up being induced, for some reason. Feeling nervous about it, if that's what I end up having. At our hospital they start it in the late afternoon/overnight with the gel, and DH has to go home (until labour starts and I am moved to delivery room). I guess it'll all be fine, but I had a bit of an emotional meltdown today. Probably just hormones too. It's our first baby and there's been so much anticipation and build up, and we thought he'd be here for Christmas. Just want to meet him soon, and would prefer going into labour naturally, but I guess just have to accept birth is unpredictable...

CarrotPuff Wed 31-Dec-14 15:31:28

sorry you're feeling down, it must be so frustrating. It looks like your baby just needs a bit longer to cook.

You don't have to be induced if you don't want to, baby will come when ready flowers

NotSpartacus Wed 31-Dec-14 15:39:00

Don't worry. My cervix was tightly shut at 41 weeks with Dd1 and labour started on its own 4 days later. The emotional meltdown is I reckon a good sign... For me a good cry was a precurser of labour!
I know you are fed up, but one way or another you'll get to meet your baby in the next week or so. The end is in sight!

Doje Wed 31-Dec-14 15:39:10

Eugh, I know how you feel. I went 2 weeks over and it was the most frustrating fortnight EVER! Easy to say, but try not to worry. I was induced in the end and it was fine. My advice would be to pack some books / magazines / laptop and DVDs combo if you can. There's a lot of waiting about. I went in on Sunday and baby was born finally on the Wednesday.....

Induction is nothing to worry about and it does mean that something has to happen. If you do end up being induced then you'll just be so happy that the end is in sight. Your baby will come out one way or another!!!

Bondy83 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:18:45

I was induced at 12 days over and it was a really positive experience. Induction takes away all the slow labour I was 8.5hrs from having the gel to delivery hopefully you will go into labour very soon yourself but if you do need to be induced it's not a bad thing

Chloris33 Thu 01-Jan-15 11:25:02

Thanks for the encouragement ladies :-) Good to hear positive induction experiences. And that cervix can change quickly even for first-timers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now