Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Washing new baby clothes

(28 Posts)
Sonics Wed 31-Dec-14 08:06:18

This is a bit random and a bit "crazy preggy lady" but here goes!

I need to start washing all the new baby stuff and had bought Aldi non-bio a while back as we do all our shopping there and use their normal washing powder so thought that would be fine.

However someone has said to me that I should choose the washing powder carefully as I'll always remember the smell of my new baby and I don't want that to be ruined by having a powder that doesn't have that new baby smell!

Was going to start washing today and was thinking of going to the shops to buy fairy instead but is that just a bit mental? And totally consumerist? The smell of a new baby shouldn't be dictated by a certain brand of washing powder

Anyway - has anyone used the aldi stuff for a newborn and did it have a nice new baby smell?! Am I being crazy?!

Beckahjane Wed 31-Dec-14 08:13:27

I used comfort sensitive fabric conditioner and Asda sensitive wash liquid.
They now do a little angels liquid (Asda) and I think a softener too.
I don't use powder so wouldnt know with that but I know my son smelt lovely in his baby stuff smile

Whenwillwe3meetagain Wed 31-Dec-14 08:41:24

Shock horror I didn't wash all the clothes before ds wore them...

JennyBlueWren Wed 31-Dec-14 08:41:31

What's the "new baby smell"?
I'd just stick to what you normally use unless clothes have special washing instructions. (We've been given loads of woolens -that should be fun!)

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 31-Dec-14 08:42:51

I used the one fabric conditioner that didn't make me puke - yellow Lenor!

mistymorningmemories Wed 31-Dec-14 08:48:05

When I think of dcs baby smell it's more baby shampoo and milkiness than washing powder. I would think you have to be more careful about sensitivity - we can only use persil non bio, anything else brings dd1 out in a rash!

Sonics Wed 31-Dec-14 08:50:26

OK good thank you!! Thought it was crazy that new baby smell was dictated by washing powder.

I've bought stuff that's right for babies but it's Aldi's own not a known brand name. I'll stop being mental now wink

ReindeerDontFly Wed 31-Dec-14 09:21:19

You are crazy, but so am I. I'm having my second and when I wash all the clothes it'll be with fairy and comfort fabric conditioner, despite normally using aldi stuff

WingsClipped Wed 31-Dec-14 14:27:23

I normally use Ariel and comfort pure but will use fairy powder for DD2. It's what I used for all of DD1's baby clothes and the smell does take me back grin also looking forward to the smell of milky baby breath

Swanny84 Wed 31-Dec-14 14:41:12

I just use any non bio depending where we shop. My dd has sensitive skin but has been great with all non bios. Only time she flares up is if she stays at my mams as she doesn't use non bio and hasn't taken her own pjs (mam has spares) but doesn't happen much

rubyboo2 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:56:06

I use non-bio fairy or Persil and Comfort or Lenor fabric conditioner . I wouldnt wash clothes before baby arrives what if you need to change the size or the gender ?

WrappedInABlankie Wed 31-Dec-14 16:02:49

Why non bio and what is it? I used persil colour capsules and comfort jojoba fabric softener On my sons since he was born

Fluffeh Wed 31-Dec-14 16:45:00

I use aldi non bio and it has a nice gentle scent. I'll be using it to wash this babys clothes too when it's nearer the time (not due until May).

GingerbreadPudding Wed 31-Dec-14 17:17:45

I've not washed or re-washed any baby clothes. My little one will be just fine.

browneyedgirly Thu 01-Jan-15 08:50:21

I'm a soon-to-be first time mother (completely clueless!). Why do you need to wash everything first?

HoggleHoggle Thu 01-Jan-15 09:01:44

I used fairy non-bio. Not intentional, but I now associate that smell with ds and it is my favourite smell in the whole entire world.

You're not that mental, either. I washed ds's clothes pre-birth with normal detergent, my mum then put the fear of god into me and I re-washed them all with non-bio. Crackers. Like I didn't have enough to occupy myself with!

brown I think it's because new clothes can be a bit stiff/scratchy etc and washing them can soften them up. Also in case they were treated with anything in the making process. I'm no expert though!

Sonics Thu 01-Jan-15 09:02:53

Thanks Hoggle

I think it's also because baby skin is so sensitive it's to remove any possible irritants that might be in the clothes

Jaffakake Thu 01-Jan-15 09:02:53

It's best to wash new new stuff first. The manufacturers put chemical finishers on them during the manufacturing process that I'd want to wash off first.

I bought a pair of black trousers for me from h&m recently & it brought me out in a reaction. So I'm being much more careful than I used to.

rubyboo2 Thu 01-Jan-15 10:03:53

You use Non-bio as it doesnt have an enzyme in it that can irritate the skin .smile

browneyedgirly Thu 01-Jan-15 11:57:57

Oh ok - thanks everyone. I literally had no idea!! #ohmygodtheressomuchtolearn

ilovepowerhoop Thu 01-Jan-15 12:00:01

Enzymes have never irritated anyone in my family and I only used non bio for a couple of weeks because I thought I had too. Ended up switching to bio with no issues and the bonus is that it cleans better.

HoggleHoggle Thu 01-Jan-15 13:43:43

brown it's crazy how little you know going into it isn't it, I was ridiculous! I didn't even know babies wore vests. Even though I was having a December baby blush (luckily I was enlightened before the baby arrived, he was kept cosy wink)

TinyMonkey Thu 01-Jan-15 18:21:30

I washed everything in Persil non bio before the baby arrived. A few weeks in, and I'm like 'fuck it' new clothes go straight on! You end up doing so much fricking laundry anyway, there is no time to faff about prewashing stuff! smile

MuffinMcLay23 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:57:12

I washed everything for dc1, not washing for dc2! Have too much to do as it is, plus have learned from experience that they only wear things for about 30 seconds before leaking bodily fluid from end or the other onto it so everything ends up getting washed pretty quickly anyway!

NickyEds Thu 01-Jan-15 20:34:21

I washed everything for DS in non-bio powder (just our normal stuff) and comfort Pure. I also ironed everything blush. I even ironed bloody vests!! New baby will have no such luxury!
New baby smell comes from their heads doesn't it? Everything he came home in smelt of hospital which wasn't very nice. After that I was too knackered to care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now