Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NYE celebrations at very late stage of pregnancy

(22 Posts)
Faceicle Wed 31-Dec-14 07:20:10

I'm 36 weeks today and am off to a party later. Question is, how much at this stage can I really have to drink?

babyblabber Wed 31-Dec-14 07:34:23

I'm 35 weeks and was at a wedding on Monday. I had a glass of champagne on arriving and slowly sipped a gorgeous glass of delicious wine over dinner. Not sure id have more than that but it's up to each mum to decide!

katandkits Wed 31-Dec-14 07:50:07

I would have a maximum of two small glasses of wine or champagne, spread out over the evening. However its a moot point as i would have likely ended up as designated driver in that situation. If i was not using a small glass i would definitely only have one drink. Making your wine into a spritzer with soda water is a way of getting to spend more time drinking but with less alcohol. Also there are plenty of nice non alcoholic drinks. I was addicted to pink tonic water when i was pregnant.

schmalice Wed 31-Dec-14 07:59:48

I was told a couple of units a couple of times a week was ok (by HCP) and no more than 6 at once and no more than 10 units in a week. So I think a couple of glasses and you'd be fine.

I'm 40+4 and will be having a couple of glasses over the course of the evening. But then I'm fat, over due and fucking hideous company so I need to take the edge off.

Sonics Wed 31-Dec-14 08:09:34

I'm 37 weeks and will probably have a small glass of something. But am also designated driver so that limits what I can drink

I've had a few drinks on special occasions across my pregnancy but tended to stick to the 1-2 units at a time. Also our NCT teacher said that the placenta is a porous membrane so whatever you eat and drink goes straight through to baby so this has made me think twice - also made me feel guilty about all the chocolate! Baby will be born on a sugar high I think!

BlueberryWafer Wed 31-Dec-14 08:13:13

One small glass of wine or 2 let down with lemonade or soda. Or if you're a beer drinker one bottle of beer or 2 made into shandys.

Mrscog Wed 31-Dec-14 09:17:14

Sonics your NCT teacher is not correct at all! Some products pass over the placenta, some don't, some do in different proportions to which are in your bloodstream. Only glucose can cross the placenta, presuming you don't have GD and have normally well managed blood sugar (which your pancreas will do), your baby won't have received any more junk than if you'd eaten those calories via wholemeal toast and an apple.

If I was 36 weeks and not driving I'd definitely have 2 small drinks.

Sonics Wed 31-Dec-14 09:18:48

Thanks so much Mrscog!!!! That makes me feel loads better gringringrin

Mrscog Wed 31-Dec-14 09:22:44

There's enough guilt around pg already let alone non scientific 'facts' being bandied about!

schmalice Wed 31-Dec-14 09:51:29

There is so much guilt and misinformation thrown at pregnant and breast feeding women these days. I'm not advocating risk taking during pregnancy and have rarely had more than maybe a glass of wine a week during my pregnancy but foetal alcohol syndrome is caused by consuming very large quantities of alcohol on a fairly regular basis.

The woman who was taken to court recently, whose daughter had FAS, was drinking 1/2L of vodka and 4 cans of super strength beer A DAY throughout her pregnancy.

What passes in to the baby from the placenta to the baby comes via your blood, which has already been processed by your liver etc. the same goes for breastfeeding. Breastmilk isn't made from your stomach contents, it's made from your blood.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now. I just feel that being pregnant and a mother is pressure enough without feeling guilty all the time!

Ilovechops Wed 31-Dec-14 09:57:57

Yes I agree. So much pressure! It's everyone's personal decision. I am 29 weeks and plan to have a very weak version of a mojito and a Bellini and probably a half glass of prosecco at midnight. That will be over 7hrs of the evening and I know I won't be in the slighest bit drunk or tipsy so I'm fine with that. We are having a small cocktail party for friends so we've chosen drinks that can be made either very weak or virgin so I can enjoy them too and not feel stuck with a lemonade.

Ultimately it won't be as fun as some previous NYE's but it's just one year and I know I won't have a headache tomorrow so that's nice.

schmalice Wed 31-Dec-14 10:02:48

Lovechops, they all sound lovely!

funchum8am Wed 31-Dec-14 10:02:55

I'm 40+11 and being induced tomorrow...planning on 2 glasses of wine (champagne) over the evening, and going to bed about 10 else will be tired for labour!

If baby wanted to avoid any slight environmental toxicity they should have come by now, in my (possibly unreasonable!) opinion!

This is DC2 and with DD I had one glass of wine (2 units per glass) twice a week after 13 weeks. She is a happy healthy 2 year old!

schmalice Wed 31-Dec-14 10:05:21

Funchum, I feel for you. I'm only 4 days over due and I am going bonkers! wine

Ilovechops Wed 31-Dec-14 10:50:51

Funchum, my midwife advised me to have two glasses of champagne (no joke) when I was a week overdue with DD1, I took her advice and went out for dinner and had a large (ish) glass of red wine and went into labour that evening I swear it was because I was relaxed! This pregnancy I've been slightly more relaxed than last I think but didn't drink at all up until 16 weeks as really didn't fancy it, now sadly I do but not long to go!

LancashireTea Wed 31-Dec-14 16:24:29

I've got GD, but find that my sugars can cope with a small prosecco or Becks Blue, so will treat myself with that later. Have abstained for the rest of my pregnancy (except for my birthday 12 days ago when I had a glass of champers!) so will not find tonight too hard hopefully. Am hoping my next 7 weeks go quickly so I can treat myself to a proper wine without the guilt.

BlueThursday Wed 31-Dec-14 16:26:56

39+6 today and not had a drop since BFP

I'm having a baileys tonight - sod it grinwine

Faceicle Wed 31-Dec-14 16:32:26

Thanks everyone, I'm living abroad so am done and dusted already! 3 small glasses of fizz and had a lovely evening. Happy new year!

funchum8am Wed 31-Dec-14 17:02:41

Glad to hear I am doing the right thing!

TMI alert - my mucus plug has started to go so might be busy with other things tonight!!!

BlueThursday Wed 31-Dec-14 17:06:57

Ooh good luck!

Mrscog Wed 31-Dec-14 17:40:31

I'm 24 weeks but rapidly thinking I'm going to have a couple of fizzes anyway.

schmalice Wed 31-Dec-14 18:18:46

Good luck fun! Here's to 2015 babies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now