Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

measuring 3 weeks ahead

(13 Posts)
blackwidow74 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:23:44

Had midwife today at 23+6 and she tape measured my bump at 27 weeks but seemed to start really low down on my pubic bone ... had my anomaly scan just 3 weeks ago and baby girl was measuring on the smaller side of average so either she made a huge growth or I've been mismeasured ... anyone else had similar? I can feel the top of my uterus myself and it's level with my belly button ... !

chrisowenkerry Tue 30-Dec-14 20:50:54

I don't know if am guna end up pregnant or not I had my period on 19th of this month and finished ma period on 26th of this month and had sex on 26th unprotected am worried my bf cum in me three times in three days what should a do

bluehearted Tue 30-Dec-14 20:55:28

Not sure what's going on with that response but I'll report it!! Don't jump onto a thread asking a genuine question about their pregnancy with such a stupid post.

Op, I measured big all through both my pregnancies and my boys are fine and were totally normal weights! If you're worried speak to your midwife but I found loads of things effect those measurements. I'm on the curvy side so that doesn't help. It could also be the way the baby is lying!
I'm sure it's fine but do speak to your midwife again if you're worried!
Congrats on the pregnancy

cookielove Tue 30-Dec-14 21:10:46

I measured big the through my pregnancy and ds was a good weight (although he was premature) I started off with a bit of tummy before and although they say that doesn't matter I don't know how they can avoid measuring it.

Any who if they are concerned they will send you for a growth scan smile

blackwidow74 Tue 30-Dec-14 22:14:12

I'm booked for growth scan anyways as I lost my son to hypercoiling and hypoxia 6 years ago so am consultant led. I am also considered overweight by their standards lol ... but I've measured =to dates up til now ... I genuinely think the midwife held the tape way lower than was necessary (I almost commented on just how low) ... I have a private scan booked on Friday so will get baby girl measured and an estimated weight ... I'm not worried ... yet!

Glad to hear though that if it's a true measurement it doesn't mean I'm going to give birth to a biiiiig baby ... my largest is 8th 8 and he got a bit stuck as he tried to come arm first lol ... He was 11 days late tho!!

And Chris Owen kerry ... how the heck should I know if you are going to end up preg? If you are so against the idea try using protection ... 3 times in 3 days is little more than careless if you don't want pregnancy to occur!

bluehearted Tue 30-Dec-14 22:53:28

Blackwidow, sorry for your loss thanks
Makes being pregnant even more worrying doesn't it?
My first son they kept saying, "he'll be over 9lb"... He was 8lb 4oz. My second son I had a section at 39 weeks and they kept saying he was going to be big but he was 7lb 5oz! I had a lot of waters with both so that can make bump bigger!
Best of luck for your next scan (I miss being pregnant and my youngest is only 4 months!!) thanks

Katnipp Tue 30-Dec-14 23:00:34

My mw measured me ahead and felt same as you - that didn't seem quite right. At 31 weeks she measured 34 and was going to book growth scan and gtt if still ahead at next appointment. I never had that as baby arrives week later and very very small for dates. At 32 weeks was smaller than average 28 weeker. In second pregnancy now and won't let them measure bump. Having growth scans every 2 weeks so rather go on that.

blackwidow74 Tue 30-Dec-14 23:42:30

Ty ladies smile I guess they do get it wrong as much as they get it right lol

With my daughter they told me she had only 12% of her amnio fluid at 32 weeks when I went into prem labour ... They managed to stop it and scanned me every two weeks to see where the waters went and if they would replenish and each time there would be the same or less ... I went to her due date and flooded 2 rooms when my waters went ... If that was 12% of what was normal I could have filled the bath twice lol!!

Aww Katnip ... was your small bubby ok though despite being teeny tiny??

blackwidow74 Tue 30-Dec-14 23:44:38

Bluehearted ... I have been a complete stress head this time around and definitely will be no more for me after this one ... here's hoping to lots of water and a regular sized little lady smile congrats on your lo smile

JennyBlueWren Wed 31-Dec-14 08:49:32

Last month my bump was 4 weeks too big (MW said she'd already taken into account that I was already fat!) Sent for a scan and baby was a week and a half big which is at the top end of normal but all in proportion. I'm going back next week for another scan to see how baby's getting on.

MamaGotABrandNewBag Wed 31-Dec-14 08:59:01

I measured 5 weeks ahead at 27 weeks, evened out slightly to 3 weeks ahead on due date. DS was 8lb15, considerably smaller than I expected!

Longtalljosie Wed 31-Dec-14 09:00:31

Are you short? I measured small for dates and it was because I was tall - more room for the baby to grow upwards before pushing outwards...

Number3cometome Wed 31-Dec-14 10:07:46

I wouldn't worry about the measuring, this is my 3rd DC and in my last two pregnancies they didn't do the 'tape measure' thing.

The only way to have a good idea if baby is big is with a scan.

The tape measuring does not take in to account water, swelling etc.

My midwife said to me that my bump was small (didn't measure!) with DC1 and he was 9lb at birth smile

If they are concerned, they will send you for a scan.

So sorry about your previous loss flowers

Best of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now