Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vegetarian pate

(5 Posts)
purplebiro Tue 30-Dec-14 10:39:32

Settle a debate on Facebook for me - can pregnant women have vegetarian pâté? And, if not, where does that leave us with hummus etc?

Teeste Tue 30-Dec-14 10:57:14

NHS says no I'm afraid. Risk of listeria and salmonella, apparently. The verdict on hummus is a little mixed, again with the risk of listeria, but OK if you make it yourself.

How the human race survived before all these guidelines I just don't know!

purplebiro Tue 30-Dec-14 14:06:53

Thanks. I'm not giving up my hummus that's for sure! And a GP friend just piped up on the Facebook discussion and said no, no veggie pate but that she had it when she was pregnant (and was fine) and she doesn't know when the last case of gestational listeriosis in the UK was reported but it was a long time ago...

Teeste Tue 30-Dec-14 15:03:41

I read where some poor woman picked it up off a cantaloupe. IIRC, the biggest risk of listeria is off pre-packed salad. I note the NHS website also cites butter as a potential source!

I'm on a diet of Pringles and spaghetti at the moment anyway grin

JennyBlueWren Tue 30-Dec-14 16:07:47

I'm sure I heard that celery had a bad rep for listeria!

Think Pringles are the safest way to go...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now