Talk

Advanced search

Dogs and new baby

(6 Posts)
Littledragon13 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:17:59

We are a way off my due date yet but are worrying about how are dog is going to be with the baby.

He is a very spoilt jack russell. He seems to enjoy the company of children but we are so worried about how he will be when baby arrives. We will obviously never leave baby unsupervised with the dog and we have agreed that he will have to be rehomed if things don't work out but it breaks my heart to think about not having him anymore.

Any advice has to how we can prepare him?

Littledragon13 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:18:16

*our not are!

leanne963 Tue 30-Dec-14 10:28:14

I too need advice on this....i have a very friendly labrador but if anything she is too friendly and wants to lick everyone and everything lol
I heard getting a baby doll and playing noises of baby crying can get them adjusted so i might do that!

rubyboo2 Tue 30-Dec-14 10:59:08

Hi I dont know if this helps but my dog is very protective over me I am 34 weeks . He licks my tummy and never leaves my side so I see this as positive . We will let him be around the baby under supervision and see how we do. My friend has triplets and her dog doesnt bat an eyelid around the babies .Good luck xx

toohardtothinkofaname Tue 30-Dec-14 11:02:37

My SIL has a very spoilt little dog who is very possessive & barks at everyone who comes to the house. She had my nephew a couple of months ago & the dog still barks at visitors but is always quiet & placid around the baby and curls up next to him. The dog keeps an eye on anyone who holds the baby & runs to get SIL if you stand up/move around.

I watched an animal programme that suggested playing baby crying noises before the baby arrives to help it adjust. Good luck!

Littledragon13 Tue 30-Dec-14 11:39:06

Thanks for all yours comments. I'm going to try playing baby noises to get him used to that. He has started getting very protective over me and likes to be by my side at all times!

I hope everything goes okay for you leanne labs tend to make great family dogs! I've grown up with labs and terriers and the difference between the breeds is so noticeable, labs tend to be in tune with your feelings and know to be gentle around little ones where as terriers seem to forget they are dogs all together!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now