Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

F-ing ITCHING!

(11 Posts)
Skeppers Mon 29-Dec-14 23:32:23

Over the last couple of weeks I've developed the most irritating itching on my legs and arms. It's worse at night and flares up on and off during the day. It's intolerable; I've scratched my legs to the point of drawing blood a couple of times! I'm 8wks and thought it might have something to do with the pregnancy- having checked on the NHS website apparently hormone changes during pregnancy can cause itching. I currently don't use any body creams, etc. (don't like the 'greasy' feeling) but have to resort to something to ease the itch. What skin creams would be good to use? Are there any I should avoid when pregnant? Would good ole' E45 cream work? Do they even make that anymore!? Thanks in advance! smile

AuntieStella Mon 29-Dec-14 23:48:31

Try calamine lotion.

As it's only affecting parts of your body, it may well not be obstetric cholestasis but any itching needs to be checked just in case (especially if no rash). When are you next seeing your MW?

DannyShouldHaveChosenRizzo Mon 29-Dec-14 23:51:22

When I was pregnant I suffered terribly with itchiness and lanacane (sp?) powder gave instant relief. I can't recommend it enough!

LondonRocks Mon 29-Dec-14 23:55:59

Get checked just in case it's not routine itching. I had this at about 7m pg and it was something that needed careful managing. If it is what I had (obstetric cholestasis) they'll be able to help but hopefully it's not as serious as that smile

Skeppers Mon 29-Dec-14 23:59:46

Thanks!

I haven't had my first midwife appointment yet, it's on 12th Jan. I did check out obstetric cholestasis but sounds like that affects belly/feet/hands. This seems to be patches of very dry skin which are almost scaly, iyswim? More like excema, which I've never had before but my mum and sister both have it so recognise the symptoms. Will try lanacane and calamine if that doesn't work! smile

steppeupunderthemisletoe Tue 30-Dec-14 00:03:18

please tell you midwife and get checked for cholestasis. I had this, the itching is anywhere in legs/arms/hands/feet.

Skeppers Tue 30-Dec-14 00:07:44

Actually, thinking about it...I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago due to an impacted gallstone: could this be a contributory factor to obstetric cholestasis? I'd have thought the opposite, as the gallbladder is what produces bile? Gah, I don't know! Think I'll just ask the midwife to put my mind at rest! One minute I'm panicking because I have no symptoms, and now I'm worrying because I have! 7 more months of this is going to drive me crazy! confused

steppeupunderthemisletoe Tue 30-Dec-14 00:25:26

even if it is cholestasis, you just continue with pregnancy, it doesn't affect the baby at this point. It becomes relevant near the end.

GingerbreadPudding Tue 30-Dec-14 08:56:18

Please get checked for obstetric cholestasis. I started itching at twenty weeks. I had a rash on my neck, chest and arms. I was told it wasn't OC as it had a rash and wasn't in the 'right places.' Come 35 weeks the rash was still present but was dry, scaly and itchy still. I got tested (as I also developed dark urine, pale poo) and it is positive.

They can give you drugs which may or may not help but you need to know as if you have it baby needs to come out at 37 weeks.

I also had what I was told was rib pain on my upper right hand side. Turns out its liver pain. Have you got this?

Skeppers Tue 30-Dec-14 11:24:46

Nope, no pain, and the itching seems to have calmed a bit. I'm now wondering if it is down to an external factor, ie. shower gel, shaving gel (for legs of course, I'm never shaving off my lovely beard! wink); I've been trying to think of something I've changed lately and coming up blank. Will still mention it to midwife- can't hurt to get tested just in case!

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 30-Dec-14 11:34:34

Oh gawd. Yes I had the most awful itchy-ness from about week 10 to about week 14. Except for me it was a random spot on my back and a boob. Drove me insane. Mainly because it got worse at night.

I ended up using bio-oil several times a day. Which seem to do the trick. Oh sudocream at one point! It also just disappeared one night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now