Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early labour or Iron Supp. side effects???

(4 Posts)
ScouseBird8364 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:21

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and went into hospital last Sunday with bad back cramping and blood upon wiping. Long story short, the blood stopped and I had 2 precautionary steroid injections, all obs were great, so they suspect a possible kidney stone (got a scan 7th Jan).

Anyway, they gave me Ferrous Fumarate for slightly low iron - for the past 2 days I've had bad abdominal cramping followed by diarrhoea (sorry, tmi blush) but it has been black and watery blushhmm

I've just Googled this, and found quite a lot of posts that mention this being an early labour sign?! hmm Or is this connected to the taking of the iron alone??

I've felt throughout this pregnancy that I may go early (this is my third), I've just had a feeling hmm

Anyone any ideas as to whether this will just be side effects from the iron or possibly early labour signs?

Thelovecats Mon 29-Dec-14 23:12:02

Iron has that exact effect on me, though lots of people say it makes them constipated. Hope everything works out well for you smile

Mrsgentle2014 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:15:27

Taking iron tablets can and will make your bowel motions slightly looser and an awful lot darker... It's all normal! No fear smile

Jodie1982 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:28:27

Oh yes it's more than likely the Iron. I'm on them too and it gives me terrible tummy cramps, and tar like stools. I've stopped em a few times due to the tummy trouble.
Hope your okay now? Was it a lot of blood on wiping? I've had a bit of pinky stuff off n on the past couple of days, 33+2 with 5th baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now