Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Early labour or Iron Supp. side effects???

(4 Posts)
ScouseBird8364 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:21

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and went into hospital last Sunday with bad back cramping and blood upon wiping. Long story short, the blood stopped and I had 2 precautionary steroid injections, all obs were great, so they suspect a possible kidney stone (got a scan 7th Jan).

Anyway, they gave me Ferrous Fumarate for slightly low iron - for the past 2 days I've had bad abdominal cramping followed by diarrhoea (sorry, tmi blush) but it has been black and watery blushhmm

I've just Googled this, and found quite a lot of posts that mention this being an early labour sign?! hmm Or is this connected to the taking of the iron alone??

I've felt throughout this pregnancy that I may go early (this is my third), I've just had a feeling hmm

Anyone any ideas as to whether this will just be side effects from the iron or possibly early labour signs?

Thelovecats Mon 29-Dec-14 23:12:02

Iron has that exact effect on me, though lots of people say it makes them constipated. Hope everything works out well for you smile

Mrsgentle2014 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:15:27

Taking iron tablets can and will make your bowel motions slightly looser and an awful lot darker... It's all normal! No fear smile

Jodie1982 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:28:27

Oh yes it's more than likely the Iron. I'm on them too and it gives me terrible tummy cramps, and tar like stools. I've stopped em a few times due to the tummy trouble.
Hope your okay now? Was it a lot of blood on wiping? I've had a bit of pinky stuff off n on the past couple of days, 33+2 with 5th baby.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: