Talk

Advanced search

Thrush in pregnancy

(18 Posts)
blankfornames Mon 29-Dec-14 22:55:25

Does anyone know if it safe to use Caneston products during pregnancy? Im in my 3rd trimester. Thanks blush

LondonRocks Mon 29-Dec-14 22:58:21

Yep. As long as it's the external stuff (pessary).

LondonRocks Mon 29-Dec-14 22:59:27

By external I mean not the tablet. Obvs you have to push the pessary in down below.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 29-Dec-14 22:59:42

I did, the pharmacy won't sell it to you over the counter if you say it's for you. My friend (pharmacist) said it's safe and what the doctor would prescribe. I pretended it was for my sister, but I had to push for it.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 29-Dec-14 23:00:08

I used the cream by the way

LondonRocks Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:32

My gp prescribed pessary plus cream.

bumpertobumper Mon 29-Dec-14 23:03:48

In my second pregnancy I had very bad thrush the whole way through. Canesten provided some relief - midwife said it was fine to use the cream continuously. Ask yours next time. She also reccommended putting a tampon in natural live yogurt.
The moment DS2 was born the thrush went away, along wiht the heartburn.

Lucyandpoppy Mon 29-Dec-14 23:06:34

I'm 22+6 and have had thrush on and off since 16 weeks! I spoke to GP she said its fine to use the canasten pessary and external cream. Some advise against using the applicator for the pessary (instead push it in with your fingers) I found this quite difficult so I have been using the internal cream
instead and applying that with fingers. The only one you can't use is the oral tablet.

Also avoid sugary foods and yeasty foods (marmite, bread), air your bits where possible e.g at night time, cotton underwear, don't use bubble bath.

If in doubt then do contact midwife or dr, last week I had some funky discharge and went to see a nurse who did a urine sample and turned out to be a UTI.

blankfornames Tue 30-Dec-14 08:20:30

thanks so much ladies!

pocketsized Tue 30-Dec-14 08:38:40

It's worth seeing the GP for as they can prescribe it so you won't have to pay, the pessary/cream combo is quite expensive over the counter.

rubyboo2 Tue 30-Dec-14 11:02:39

Hi Op you cant buy Thrush treatment a chemist wont sell you it , you have to see your Gp . Ive just had a hurrendous bout due to abx .My Gp gave me Canesten cream and a pessary which worked a treat . x

blankfornames Tue 30-Dec-14 12:02:18

Thanks for all your help. The pharmacist gave me cream to use. The relief blush

jmojo Tue 30-Dec-14 13:48:53

If you keep getting repeat bouts of thrush Try using aqueous cream to wash with down below instead of soap. It will feel weird as it doesn't foam but it will clean and it allows your natural pH and flora to exsist without upsetting the balance. After a week or two of stopping soap, then the balance returns to normal, the various flora that should be there help to keep thrush in check.

Rumplestrumpet Tue 30-Dec-14 14:03:41

I know it's messy, but does natural yoghurt also work? Or is that an old wives' tale? I would always go for a natural remedy where possible, especially during pregnancy, but if it doesn't work then there's not much point messing up your knickers for nothing....

Just a thought.

Teeste Tue 30-Dec-14 15:09:00

Yoghurt works (says my hippie mum) but stings like a motherlover. I tried it once, it was worse than the thrush. Stick to the Canesten say I!

LittlePeasMummy1 Tue 30-Dec-14 22:31:15

Hello, here are some patient information leaflets about use of thrush treatments in pregnancy. Hope this helps.

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Clotrimazole/

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Fluconazole-standard-dose/

Stillyummy Tue 30-Dec-14 22:33:45

Iron your underwere, and dp's. Trust me this helps! X

donkir Tue 30-Dec-14 22:45:43

I managed to buy the pessary and cream in sainsburys a few weeks back. I just took it through normal till with no hassle. Nearly 35 weeks. So much easier than waiting 2 weeks for doctors appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now