Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maclarens buggy

(27 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:39:43

Would you or have you used one for your newborn?
Would you recommend it?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 29-Dec-14 17:44:34

I've got one for my 13 month old but wouldn't have used it for a newborn. It just doesn't look comfy/snuggly/secure enough to me.

junemami Mon 29-Dec-14 17:47:47

Planning to use my techno xt which we bought when dd was about 6months, haven't got a car seat to use on travel system this time (got a group 0/1) and have bought a second hand p+t but that will mainly be for days out rather than day to day use. Guess I'll find out in February when no 2 arrives!

theonewiththenoisychild Mon 29-Dec-14 20:01:19

very sturdy strollers but i wouldnt use a stroller for a newborn personally

youlookbeautifultonight Mon 29-Dec-14 20:24:52

It probably would be ok with a snuggly footmuff and head hugger or baby cocoons/sleeping bags that you can buy. At least you can be sure that it will last you well into toddler years.

chocolatemartini Mon 29-Dec-14 20:30:26

People do and I tried to with my first but ended up buying a bugaboo- so much better! I have a maclaren still and I still hate it. Useful at times but wouldn't be without my proper pushchair. Maclarens are very bumpy, the suspension is shite. I'd say get a good second hand pram if money is tight.

JavelinArse Mon 29-Dec-14 20:32:03

I used a Techno XT for my newborn 10 years ago I chose it because I didn't drive and had to get the bus everywhere. It was perfect and lasted until he was about 3 (and I swapped it for a nippier Maclaren Volo)

It lies completely flat so no reason why it can't be used from birth, it's probably better than having the baby in a carseat/travel system contraption.

Notfastjustfurious Mon 29-Dec-14 20:35:12

I used my tecnhno xt with my baby from birth. I had a Quinny buzz last time with carrycot and my dd hated it. Although it didn't look as comfy it must have been fine as she slept in it. Did have a head hugger though that kept her in place and it was so much easier to use than the bulky travel system - especially with 2 little ones.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:35:44

Okay, yes not sure what to do, wanted something small and easy to put up and down, need to have a proper look around and see what we can afford- just seems mad paying £600 odd for a pram when apparently they aren't in it very long?
(This is my first baby as you can tell and still trying to work out what's best to have)
How long does a Bugaboo last for?

iusedtobecool Mon 29-Dec-14 20:36:32

Not a Maclaren, but I used my city mini from birth. We didn't use a bassinet or anything, just a fleecy cosy toes. It was absolutely fine, and still going strong 2 years later.

MuscatBouschet Mon 29-Dec-14 20:37:43

I tried with my second but he hated it - didn't feel secure. So stuck to a sling mostly until 6 months. They are far less nice to push than other buggies but I guess it all depends on your lifestyle.

leanne963 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:39:35

Anyone know much about the Maxi Cosi Elea? I'm considering it but would like to hear some mum feedback!

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:40:14

Do you guys think travel systems are better then?
So confused about what to use ! Haha I currently have another threw going about Moses baskets! My MIL keeps putting these ideas into my head that I don't need certain things- as she didnt use it etc etc, she also said rather than buy a Moses use the pram for baby to sleep in?! Surely not?

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:40:29

As in sleep in at night?

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:41:12

*thread not threw!

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 29-Dec-14 20:50:45

Some carrycots (that go on prams) can be used for overnight sleeping with the addition of a proper mattress. It should say in the carrycots details if the model is suitable of overnight sleeping. I have one that is and it's worked very well for dd (3 years ago) and will be using again for ds when he arrives in April (with a new mattress). I do however have a seperate stand for it rather than use the pushchair frame, my frame is a standard Moses basket one that you can get in most baby shop (mothercare, babysrus ...) and only cost £25 so was pleased with that. It rocks too which dd loved.

As for pushchairs (if you don't want to go down the travel system/carrycot route) you might what to look at parameters style pushchairs that go from pram to buggy shape just by changing settings rather than having loads of different attachments, some are very compact, I don't know about suspension but I assume that there will me good models out there. You can often also to rear and forward facing with those so that a nice bonus.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:01:01

That sounds like a good idea iliveonabuildsite, using the pram carrycot, ill have to make sure whichever pram I get would've suitable I suppose.
Everything seems so complicated and confusing!
How long did your child sleep in your bedroom with you for?

Funkytown Mon 29-Dec-14 21:05:21

Do not let your baby sleep in a pram at night unless it is designed to do so , so it's a no no for the maclern for night use
If you do want a cheap Moses basket the asda do some I used one for 25 with mattress for my son until he was 6months old

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 29-Dec-14 21:06:39

Dd slept in our room until 5.5 month I think, I moved her because her sleep patterns had suddenly changed and she was starting to sleep 6:30-12:30 wake for a quick feed and back to sleep from 12:30-7:30 and I thought she was settling in a routine and felt it would be best if she were in her own room. She would have still fitted in carry for another few weeks I think but also she was big enough to move to her cotbed so it felt like the right time.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:18:37

Funky town- no I definitely wouldn't use the maclarens for nigh time use.
smile

littleducks Mon 29-Dec-14 21:25:36

I have a techno xt from 9 years ago which is still going strong with dc3 in. I used it from birth mostly for financial reasons. Baby wanted to be in sling mostly anyway.

I have a big P&T with newborn cocoon in the garage (needed a double for dc1 &dc2) but it's barely been used for this dc. I liked a stretchy moby styke wrap sling at first and the mclaren was easiest in shops or poping in and out of the boot.

I always ended up bouncing babies in prams and buggies over bumps to quieten them so never understood the need for good suspension

yippeekiyaymiffy Mon 29-Dec-14 21:41:26

I spent £600 or so on a Sola travel system for PFB and could really have done without it. We travelled quite a bit when DC was newborn and our Maclaren Quest was perfect, suitable from birth and with built in extras to keep smaller babies a bit more snug. It was so easy on flights, trains and buses too. On really tricky journeys (lots of cobblestones for example) I just took the sling and switched between them. If money is no object then yes, get a travel system but I could have done without.

Missmidden Mon 29-Dec-14 21:44:25

I used our McLaren Techo XT from birth with DD2 with no issues. We got it when DD1 was 6 mths and before that only used a baby carrier for her, never had a pram or travel system.

I think it really depends on your lifestyle- some people want/need the car seat attachment or the carrycot bit that you can bring into the house but I realised I wouldn't. I Was very smug when most friends ditched their systems and bought a McClaren or similar after a few months, but with hindsight it's a question of what you need- and unfortunately that often isn't clear before the baby arrives. If possible I would advise buying next to nothing in advance and then borrow or buy stuff second hand once it is all a bit clearer.

theonewiththenoisychild Tue 30-Dec-14 09:09:58

iusedtobecool i used baby jogger city mini for my son from 7 weeks old (would have been sooner if i hadnt already brought a silvercross 3d from a friend which i hated) and it was fine too. i loved it used it until he was almost 3 and no longer needing a pushchair. much more comfy than a stroller type buggy as the baby jogger has more bounce and doesnt rattle them round like a pea in a tin

cosmicgirl99 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:24:50

The maclaren techno xlr can be used as a travel system with carry cot and recaro car seat (need to get the specific maclaren version with adaptors) from birth. We did this, although with big baby only used carry cot under 4 months then switched to buggy with headhugger. it's the only buggy/pram we ever bought and just about to put the carry cot back on for number 2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now