Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How far along am I?

(9 Posts)
Cazilou Mon 29-Dec-14 17:25:46

I am yet to visit the doctor as the festive period has taken over somewhat recently. On 5th of December I decided to take a pregnancy test before going on my work Christmas do as I was worried about the possibility of drinking while pregnant. It was positive.

The problem I have is that the doctor is going to ask when my last period was. My last period was around 15th November but was much lighter than normal and only lasted a few days rather than the usual week. After getting a positive result I then took a pregnancy test every weekend before confirming to my partner at Christmas (I needed to get my head around it and double check before telling him as he is pretty stressed at the moment and didn't want to tell him unnecessarily) All of these pregnancy tests were positive.

Now what I am confused about is if I go to the docs and say my last period was 15th November he will calculate my date as being around 6 weeks, however I am under the impression that a home pregnancy test will not show up positive until around 5 days before your missed period at the earliest. The date I took the first pregnancy test would have been around the time ovulation should have happened and conception took place, at least 10 days before my period was due, if indeed 15th November was an actual period.

If I go to docs and tell him all this will he book me in for a scan sooner being that I could be 10 weeks, or will I have to wait another 6 weeks? This is my first pregnancy and I haven't got a clue how it all works with antenatal care and what to expect.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 29-Dec-14 17:34:34

Sounds like that November period was maybe implantation bleeding perhaps. I think tell your doctor all this and they can decide when to book you for a scan. What might happen is you end up having an early one where they can date you then you will be offered another to do the relevant tests at 12 weeks ish if needs be. I'm on my second pregnancy and as I hadn't had a period inbetween had to guess at conception. I wasn't as far as I thought, so had another scan two weeks later. Hope that makes sense.

LizziTea Mon 29-Dec-14 17:38:02

I think given what you have said, it would be reasonable to tell the doctor that your last period was the one before the November one. You could always mention the small bleed as an aside, but explain that you know it can't have been a period because of you tested positive so few days later. I guess that if you phrase it like that, you are likely to get your scan sooner, which might be important depending on what screening tests you would want at the scan.

Luciferbox Mon 29-Dec-14 17:43:14

I took a bog standard test 6 days before AF was due and it came up positive (now 8+4wks). It is possible, it wasn't an early response test or anything.

Rikalaily Mon 29-Dec-14 18:01:27

My last period (was actually a mc but classed as LMP) was 10th Nov, I conceived again straight away and tested positive on 7th Dec, I tested on the 5th Dec and got a BFN. I'm 7w 1d. I think I ov'ed on the 23rd Nov.

I would just tell the doc you can't remember your LMP, if they don't book you a scan you can get a private dating/reassurance scan for around £50.

mumxof3x Mon 29-Dec-14 18:18:48

It can be possible to get a positive when you did, it was 3wk after your bleed especially if you ov'd a few days early...this happened to me with ds2 had a shorter than normal period also loads lighter and I tested cycle day 22 and got a very decent positive, I wasnt sure if I was further along or not midwife said I could be but had to wait for my 12wk scan, that put me a couple of days ahead of what I should have been smile so entirely possible. But if it is bothering, you then i I would either pay for a private scan or say you dont know when your last lmp was. Congratulations by the way x

nanceweir Mon 29-Dec-14 19:17:18

I'm 10 weeks pregnant, I was in a similar position to you. I didn't know when my last period was, wasn't planning to fall pregnant and this is my first pregnancy so I was completely unaware of how it all works.
I was scared I wouldn't get a scan until I was 12 weeks + because of this so I opted to pay for a private scan. I found out there I was only eight and a half weeks so I was able to resreschedule my NHS appointment to next month when I'll be 12 weeks.

sleepybee Mon 29-Dec-14 19:39:03

You could test again using a clear blue digital test that gives you can idea of how many weeks you are. Then you could tell your Dr you took this test as your unsure of exact date of last period. Congrats

Cazilou Mon 29-Dec-14 19:53:36

Thanks for your replies, we are both really excited! We were actively trying but just slipped my mind to even think about writing down my period dates, had never needed to before! Only remembered that one because I had a conversation about it at the time!

I will just tell the doc I don't know entirely and see what he says, I might get a private scan if I can find something nearby that I can get to without disturbing work too much, don't want them to find out just yet!

You have eased my mind at least, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now