Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moses baskets-

(19 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:42:59

When you had/have a newborn did you use a Moses basket or do you plan on using one?
Have any of you just used the cot bit that comes with the pram?
Not sure what to do to be honest, what's best?

Eatscones Mon 29-Dec-14 16:48:55

With my first Dc (2yrs ago) I didn't bother with a Moses basket, just used a cot bed and it was fine. With our second (3 months ago) we got a Moses basket as our first dc is just now transitioning out of the cot. I like having the Moses basket for its versatility ... I've can keep it in the living room during the day and then take it to the bedroom when I go to bed. I think the one from your pram would work fine too. It all depends on your setup and what will work for your household.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:50:45

Okay so when you say cot bed is that just the normal cot you buy for the baby or is that something else?

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:51:36

Thanks for your reply too smile where did you get your Moses basket?

CheerfulYank Mon 29-Dec-14 16:53:53

I got a moses basket as a present for DC1. I didn't use it much. I did more often for DC2. DC3 is due in June and I'm sure he or she will get even more use out of it.

Pisghetti Mon 29-Dec-14 17:00:10

A cot bed is a cot you can turn into a bed as the baby grows by removing the sides. They're slightly larger than normal cots (a couple of inches in each direction). I was bought a Moses basket for DS and we used it a lot. He slept in it by the side of our bed at night and downstairs in the day. It was on a stand most of the time. I'm expecting my second next year and the Moses basket was my first purchase (there's a large age gap - all of DS' baby stuff has gone!) but second hand as they outgrow them in a couple of months. The bassinet part of the pram would work as well I think provided it can be easily carried around?

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:10:00

Oh okay I see what you mean now! I saw a second hand Moses basket today, does it matter if you buy second hand and you don't know who had it last? Would you buy a new mattress for it?

TTCMrsF Mon 29-Dec-14 18:48:52

This is a really good post. Will be buying a cot bed for the nursery which is next room to our main bedroom. I was contemplating if people really do "rooming in" asked a few friends and Yep!

So we looked at cribs and then decided on a mothercare snug Moses basket in sale (much more sturdier than a wicker type - so hopefully it lasts) and a collapsible stand. Hence I can easily move it downstairs for daytime naps and in bedroom at night.

Now we've ordered it I hope our little one doesn't outgrow it in a matter of months! As hope to use for approx 5/6 months. Fingers crossed.

TarkaTheOtter Mon 29-Dec-14 18:54:05

You can buy new mattresses online easily for under £10. I would definitely use one for a newborn. We bought a large (Clair de lune brand I think) Moses basket second hand and ds fit in it until 6m despite being 98centile for height so it is possible if the basket is big enough.
Most pram carrycots are not well ventilated enough for night sleeping - check with manufacturer.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 29-Dec-14 18:55:49

I used a crib for upstairs and the carry cot bit of the pram for downstairs sleeping

Jenny1231990 Mon 29-Dec-14 19:20:25

We used Moses basket with our dd. I used the same one I had for my son. All we bought was a new mattress and she stayed in there until she was just 7months. Now in her cot bed. Again like others nice to be able to have it upstairs and down. I recommend buying a cot bed rather than a cot. Slightly more dear but my son was in his until he was 5 so was well worth the extra money.
Congratulations. I'm sure the carry cot from the pram would be ok too x

Dogsmom Mon 29-Dec-14 19:31:30

We used a moses basket too downstairs for daytime, also had a rocking stand, it was really convenient to sit rocking it with my foot while I watched telly!

I didn't use it overnight though as firstly I wanted her on the sensor pad which was under the cot bed mattress and secondly I wanted to begin her night time routine from day 1 so we put her up in her bed in the dark and quiet and she's always been a great sleeper.

I also didn't know the sids risk re moses baskets, I know they don't recommend cot bumpers or excess toys so the air can flow freely and they wont overheat and I always thought there didn't look much room around her head/face in a moses basket.

CoodleMoodle Mon 29-Dec-14 19:33:28

I had a cheap Moses basket for DD. It was useful for her daytime naps for a few weeks and we used to carry her down in the morning and up at night. Then she decided she'd only sleep on us during the day and so I left it upstairs. She slept in it at night until about 3mo and then started waking us up when she thrashed herself about, hitting the sides.

I liked it but wouldn't pay a ridiculous amount for one. I think ours was about £30 including mattress and stand, maybe a bit more, and we got it (brand new) at the start of this year.

Christelle2207 Mon 29-Dec-14 19:39:31

I used the pram bit of the carrycot downstairs for naps (could easily bring it in after walks if he was sleeping) and moses basket upstairs at night time. BUT dc actually hated basket and we ended cosleeping most of the time until we put him in a cotbed in his own room at about 10 weeks. I do think quite a few babies don't like baskets so don't spent a fortune. I got mine 2nd hand from a friend but bought a cheap new mattress. I also bought a rocking stand for it which was helpful-could rock it with my feet from the bed.

cansu Mon 29-Dec-14 19:42:53

I did use one, but actually had one given to me and just bought new mattress. I think carrycot would be equally fine. Tbh though both children also slept loads in lie back bouncy chair thingy as the minute they left it they often started screaming!

theonewiththenoisychild Mon 29-Dec-14 19:54:26

i have ds's moses basket and have brought a new mattress and my friend gave me a almost new cot and ive brought a new mattress for that too. but i am having a c section and will be breast feeding so i thinking of getting this [[ http://www.mothercare.com/Chicco-Next-2-Me-Bedside-Crib---Dove-Grey/593765,default,pd.html#q=next%202%20me]]

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 29-Dec-14 20:59:39

I posted on your pushchair thread but just wanted to add here that dd loved sleeping in her carrycot overnight (mine was suitable for overnight sleeping and ventilated appropriately although needed separate mattress). I loved how versatile it was, could have it anywhere in the house on it's separate stand (rather than pushchair) and could transition from walking outside to sleeping inside without waking dd. Ds (arriving in April) will be using it again, I think it will be even more invaluable this time as I can foresee having to do the school run during nap times and hopefully won't have to wake ds for it.

It was also easy up lift dd out of it for night sleeping and to put her back in after as the carrycot was just beside the bed and I could also peep in once or twice if I wand to check on her without having to get out of bed.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 29-Dec-14 21:03:08

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Finding it really helpful! Who knew organising what baby stuff to buy could be so confusing!!!

JennyBlueWren Tue 30-Dec-14 09:22:46

I wonder if I've overdone the bedding!
In addition to the pram we have a moses basket for downstairs (didn't fancy carrying up and down the stairs), my dad's buying me a bednest to go in our room for the first few months and then we have a cot bed to go in the nursery.
Still need to buy mattresses and bedding for them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now