Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Appointment at hospital I didn't know was being organised?

(10 Posts)
PregnantAndEngaged Sun 28-Dec-14 21:52:23

I've received a strange letter telling me an outpatient appointment has been made for me at an obstetrics clinic for 19th January (I will be 18 weeks pregnant then). It doesn't say what the appointment is for.

However it doesn't make sense as at my 12 week scan they already booked me in for my 20 week scan on 30th January and they gave me a letter to that effect. In addition I've already organised my 16 week appointment with my midwife for 8th January. So what could this be?! :S No one told me this appointment was being made... worrying now lol. Will call tomorrow to double check, but any ideas? Is there anything else that require me to go to the hospital's outpatient department apart from the 12 week and 20 week scan.

TooTiredToBeCreative Sun 28-Dec-14 21:57:35

Have you had a booking in appointment at the hospital? Not sure if they still do this but I had one with my first child, 11 years ago. Haven't had one at the hosp with subsequent DC but wonder if they only do it with first?
Could also be something like a glucose tolerance test but they would have sent information about that I presume as you have to fast before.

Panzee Sun 28-Dec-14 21:59:39

Where I am we get a consultant appointment at around the 16 week mark. If it was a low risk pregnancy it would be the first and last one though.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 28-Dec-14 22:08:11

Consultant clinic appt. have you got anything in your medical history at all which may mark you down as slightly "high risk" even though it doesn't affect your pregnancy?

Any problems n a previous pregnancy?

PregnantAndEngaged Sun 28-Dec-14 22:11:20

VivaLaBeaver, this is a first pregnancy (no miscarriages etc) and it says on my maternity notes that I'm deemed low risk. However I have had a heart operation as a child, we do not believe it to be a genetic condition but the midwife did say at my 10 week appointment that she was going to speak to the doctor about it as she wasn't sure if the baby would need extra monitoring after birth. That was the last I heard of it :S Also I know that all of my blood test results and urine sample came back clear.

It'll be the potential monitoring, I'd imagine. I saw a consultant for a number of reasons, one of which was potential genetic condition. If the consultant deems you low risk, you'll be back to midwife led care smile

VivaLeBeaver Sun 28-Dec-14 22:59:07

It,ll be to do with the heart op. the consultant may want to write to a cardiologist and tell them you're pregnant and ask if you need seeing by the cardiologists, check you're alright for pushing in labour, etc.

PicandMinx Mon 29-Dec-14 12:59:42

Don't you think OP, it would be really useful if the letter actually gave you the reason for the appointment. Just a short sentence perhaps? This would save you stress, a phone call and a member of staff answering your question.

PregnantAndEngaged Sun 04-Jan-15 13:45:41

Thanks everyone, I meant to reply sooner: I found it what it was and it was to do with the heart condition... just a check-up apparently.

PicandMinx I totally agree, though I guess it's just a data protection thing as it's to do with your medical history. Although saying that they send you a more detailed scan letter which is still personal in a way, so I'm not sure why this should be any different :S

albertgirl Tue 06-Jan-15 00:17:24

I had this as well - caused me a lot of unnecessary stress as I was still awaiting the results of the Downs/combined test, so I was convinced it was horrid news. Turned out to be a consultant appt because I'd had an abnormal smear test a year or so ago! It would have saved a lot of heartache if they'd called me and explained...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now