Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What happens if you turn up at hospital with no bag?

(11 Posts)
WorryWurta Sun 28-Dec-14 10:21:52

I've started buying mine, so it's just a theoretical question! In buying stuff for the bag I wondered what would happen if you just rocked up with nothing, i.e. how much stuff could you get off the ward for free if you wanted to blag it? Just curious.

feelingunsupported Sun 28-Dec-14 10:25:53

Umm - we all get the expensive medical treatment involved in giving birth 'for free' so that.

Hospital gown and blanket until someone brought you yours? Sure they have spare clothes etc for those in need. Strange question!

Letthemtalk Sun 28-Dec-14 10:29:33

For free? Bed, bedding, emergency nappies/ maternity pads/baby clothes, cotton wool, formula if needed

GratefulHead Sun 28-Dec-14 10:29:38

You'd get enough to ensure your dignity, a hospital gown, some soap and cloths for washing etc. you always get your food so that's that. The baby would have a blanket and either you breastfeed or there will be some ready formula.
In other words you would get the basics but not much else.

BingBongMerrilyOnHigh Sun 28-Dec-14 10:31:37

Having been taken in as an emergency during my pregnancy, and having absolutely nothing with me (was still in work clothes), can I recommend you don't rely on hospital issue anything, if at all possible. They are likely to be kind & provide essentials, but it's really not that comfortable. And the hospital pillows were about as thick as your average teabag - I took my own when I went into labour.

Panzee Sun 28-Dec-14 10:32:46

I once went to hospital for what I thought would be outpatient but I had to stay over (not maternity). I got given a pack with soap, toothbrush and paste.

In the maternity ward they supplied disposable nappies and clothes if we didn't have many. My son puked a lot so I kept running out, but they supplied me with clothes.

Panzee Sun 28-Dec-14 10:33:40

I mean reusable nappies! We were encouraged to use the reusable ones on the ward.

LittleBearPad Sun 28-Dec-14 10:33:47

Well you'd have bedding as would your child but you wouldn't get to keep them (and you'd be odd if you wanted to)

Nappies and formula (if needed).

I suppose they might have some emergency baby clothes for times when women go into labour and are rushed to hospital before their own baby clothes can be brought to the hospital.

Why would you want to 'blag' any of these, how odd.

WorryWurta Sun 28-Dec-14 10:46:54

Could I just clarify this is a hypothetical question, I will have a very well stuffed hospital bag of course. It was pure curiosity.

Frusso Sun 28-Dec-14 10:48:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frusso Sun 28-Dec-14 10:49:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now