Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

checking length of cervix due to loop treatment

(9 Posts)
applecore0317 Sat 27-Dec-14 16:59:35

Anyone else had this? got a letter through for a consultant appointment end of Jan to check the length of my cervix, will be 24 weeks by then, had loop treatment December last year. First pregnancy

JontyDoggle37 Sat 27-Dec-14 17:47:38

Yes - when they did my 20 week scan I also had an internal scan with a small probe - no discomfort, took about twenty seconds, then they wrote on my report length of cervix, then I saw the consultant the next week, who checked it and said it all seemed good and he was referring me back to midwife care. The risk is that you deliver early because your cervix may not hold baby in because it's been weakened by loop treatment. If cervix length is very short, they may offer to put a stitch in to help baby stay in place. Once you're past 24 weeks baby is viable for life, so then it's just about holding on as long as you can without giving birth! (I'm 22 1/2 weeks and feel like walking Round with my legs crossed for the next two weeks!)

TheOldestCat Sat 27-Dec-14 17:52:38

I had this check too as had loop treatment before having my DC. All was fine and, like Jonty, no discomfort.

Both DC were late, if that's of any help! So having loop treatment is just an additional risk, not a surefire link to premature birth. They are just being cautious, which is good.

Best of luck to you both.

GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 18:00:22

I had this too, they checked a few times from 16 weeks until 24 I think. All was fine. I hope yours will be too

applecore0317 Sat 27-Dec-14 18:09:01

Thanks smile I hadn't thought much about it until now as nothing was mentioned at my booking in appointment or my other consultant appointment. I only hadhad a very small section removed so hopefully won't be an issue, thanks for reassuring me x

Brummiegirl15 Sun 28-Dec-14 09:29:47

Reading this thread with interest - I'm currently 8+2 and had a letz and cone biopsy a few years ago. Will be mentioning this at my booking in appointment as I was told back then I may need a stitch

EssexMummy123 Sun 28-Dec-14 10:15:19

I didn't have this? but shortly before having DD consultant picked up that i'd had it done and was concerned about my cervix not stretching correctly/being unpredictable in labour and recommended giving birth on a a consultant lead ward - she actually said that the MLU had form for not picking up/alerting them to problems early enough but that could have been specific to that mid essex hospital :-)

Rustyzilla Sun 28-Dec-14 13:34:14

I had laser loop surgery 11 years ago. Saw obs/gynae consultant at 16w and had the internal scan as Jonty described, all fine. I was referred back to midwife care. At the time I had the surgery it was mentioned to me I may need a stitch in pregnancy so I had been worried but all is apparently fine. I'm 25+5. Hope all is also fine for you, if it was a small procedure it is very likely all will be fine.

applecore0317 Sun 28-Dec-14 15:54:57

Thank you will let you know how I get on with the Consultant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now