Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Clothing advice baby due 23 feb

(11 Posts)
livsmum4 Sat 27-Dec-14 08:38:11

Hello

Just need some
Advice baby due 23.02.15 and not sure what to buy to bring it home from the hospital in? I know we can't predict the weather but does anyone have any previous experience of snow suits pram suits or warm jackets in feb. I want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks xx

SilverStars Sat 27-Dec-14 08:45:33

Hi I had a spring born baby - was mild but sent home at 10pm at night so very cold for a newborn! Hat and warm blankets necessary. Advice now seems to be do not use snowsuits in car seats.

MissRainbowBrite Sat 27-Dec-14 08:52:10

DD was born mid February almost 3 years ago (it doesn't feel that long at all!). And she wore a vest, sleepsuit, cardigan, padded jacket with a hat and lovely thick blanket over her in her car seat.
If you are going straight from the ward to the car then home this will be fine as you can always take a layer of the blanket off in the car if it gets warm in there.
Trying to get a newborn in a snow suit is really difficult and as PP said they shouldn't be worn in car seats. We found a warm hat and padded jacket worked well with blankets as needed worked well when she was in the car seat. Hope that helps smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 27-Dec-14 08:52:37

Yep, avoid snowsuits in the carseat.

Next do lovely all in one zip up fleece suits - one of them over a vest abd sleepsuit, clipped in the carseat, then a pramblanket over and tucked in. Hat on.

slippermaiden Sat 27-Dec-14 09:33:27

I would avoid a snow suit on such a young baby altogether, big risk of over heating. Go with layers of clothing, vests, baby gros - all in ones are good as no air going up trouser legs and lost socks. Then hats, cardis and blankets. Blankets are easily removed without disturbing the baby xx

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 27-Dec-14 10:46:45

As a few pps have said snowsuits are dangerous in car seats - prevents correct tightening of the straps and also to easy to over heat as the car warms up.

Bodysuit, sleepsuit, cardigan, hat (wooly), mitts, and blankets to layer over them once strapped in.

livsmum4 Sat 27-Dec-14 14:24:33

Thanks guys! Totally didn't know about the car seat thing so glad I asked grin some fab ideas x

RainbowTortoise Sat 27-Dec-14 14:46:40

These are great:
www.morrck.co.uk/shop/all-season-baby-hoodie-size-1.html

Keep them nice and snug in the car seat and can't be kicked off :-)

espa Sat 27-Dec-14 16:05:44

I second a Morrck hoodie - we have been using it for DD born 11 days ago. It's great!

livsmum4 Mon 29-Dec-14 16:10:19

Does anyone have experience of the maxi cosi footmuffs? X

WingsClipped Mon 29-Dec-14 16:48:03

Some hospitals/midwives like to see you bring the car seat into the ward with you. You can then strap baby in properly in the ward, layer with blankets and then take outside to car with them all warm and cosy. No need for a snowsuit. They are an absolute arse to get on to a newborn anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now