Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scared myself silly about obstetric cholestasis

(14 Posts)
GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 05:28:22

I've had itching in this pregnancy since about 25 weeks. I'm now 35 weeks and my palms and soles are itchy now too. I have a rash on my neck and arms. Over the last two days I've noticed my urine is dark and my poo (sorry) is very smelly and paler than normal. Of course I've googled this and I have been up all night worrying I have obstetric cholestasis.

I already had flagged this up with a doctor who said that because I have an actual rash it's not likely, and the midwife who said not to worry unless my feet and hands got itchy, which they now have.

I had an allergic reaction to a local anaesthetic several days ago which meant I spent the night vomiting. I had assumed that the change in poo and urine was down to this but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone had this? I will ring my midwife first thing, but it's 5am so I won't do it until a reasonable hour. I'm so worried.

Harverinalovesxmassandwiches Sat 27-Dec-14 05:33:25

Yes I have had it. Like you I terrified myself by treatment.

Due to an error my Oc wasn't picked up until 39 weeks and I was induced.

Phone first thing and say you want bloods taken to rule it out.

It is very treatable so try not to worry too much. In some hospitals you will get your results in the same day.

I had a rash due to scratching - is that a possibility for you or is it separate? The itch for me was unbearable. I couldn't sleep for it.

Harverinalovesxmassandwiches Sat 27-Dec-14 05:33:53

I terrified myself by googling!! No idea how that typo came about!

GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 05:41:11

Thank you for replying at this strange time of day! I don't know if the rash is due to scratching or not now, I've had it so long. My feet and hands don't have a rash - they feel just very itchy, I've been rubbing my feet against a scratchy door mat which feels lovely.

Did you have the urine and poo symptoms too? I also have rib pain on the right side which the doctor said was rib flare but now I'm wondering as Dr Google says that can also be a symptom. Mid you have this?

StampyShortnose Sat 27-Dec-14 05:58:36

Hi op, you need to tell your doctor or midwife to send you for a blood test to rule out OC.

If you do have it, once diagnosed, treated, monitored and induced before 38 weeks you and baby are at no higher risk than a 'normal' pregnancy.

I had OC and whilst I did have itching to my body (not hands and feet tho) plus the poo and wee you described, I did not have a rash.

Hope you manage to get a test soon x

TheAmyrlin Sat 27-Dec-14 06:10:46

You need to see your midwife/GP asap for blood tests. I had it when I was expecting DD- didn't have a rash though. My feet were very itchy and I used to put my feet in a bucket of ice cold water to alleviate the symptoms!!
My DD is now a healthy, stroppy 13 yr old. So try not to worry.flowers

GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 09:08:27

Went in this morning and had bloods taken, she said if it is OC then they would induce me at 37 weeks. She said it sounded like it was. I should find out later today or tomorrow.

StampyShortnose Sat 27-Dec-14 11:13:10

Glad you got your blood testsmile .

If it is OC, google 'icp support', there is a fab support group run by Jenny Chambers. Lots of info and reassurance on the site.

In my experience, you will be monitored and given medications to try and get your liver function and bile acids to a better level. If that does not work, you will be induced. It's brilliant you are at 35 weeks, just 2 weeks short of full term anyway. My OC baby was induced at 35 weeks, now a strapping 3 year old!

GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 14:08:21

Thanks for your support everyone - just to update and so this might be useful for someone else one day; the blood tests came back with elevated levels of what they're testing for so it is obstetric cholestasis and I will be induced at 37 weeks. I go back tomorrow to be given some drugs and to book an induction. My concern now is - what if I'm simply not ready, physically, to be induced - if my cervix isn't ready and the baby isn't in the right position/engaged- do they march ahead with an induction or go for a caesarean?

museumum Sat 27-Dec-14 14:12:10

My friend had early induction due to oc.
In her case she wasn't "ready" but she reacted well to the drugs and had her girl by induction.
I think they will give the drugs and if the body doesn't respond then move to cesarean so prepare yourself for either. Some people react quickly to induction, some not at all.
Good luck.

StampyShortnose Sat 27-Dec-14 14:18:33

The induction process will grt your body 'ready' for childbirth!

So you have a sweep, pessaries to soften your cervix (2 pessaries several hours apart). If labour does not start after that, you will have a drip to start your contractions, your waters may need to be broken.

Beware that my consultant told me that Oc labours tend to be quite quick, as if body/ baby has had enough of the OC! Mine certainly was, had a sweep and 1 pessary then my waters broke on their own and DC arrived just 50 minutes after the first twinge of labour! He was 35 weeks grin .

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the birth!

broodysnoopstie Sat 27-Dec-14 15:17:52

I've got OC and I'm 35 + 2 I'm going in Monday to have steroids to mature babies lungs then being induced end of week or when I'm 37 weeks will decide after Monday.. (I also have GD which complicates things) but my consultant doesn't seem at all worried about me or the baby. You'll be fine

GingerbreadPudding Sat 27-Dec-14 16:40:48

Thanks for those messages. I understand that the pessary can soften the cervix etc but if the baby's head is not engaged, how does that happen in an induction?

I didn't know OC babies tend to come quickly - thank you for that tip. I think if i have to have a drip I'll be asking for an epidural beforehand. My plans for a home water birth are out of the window :-( but at least I have had this diagnosed. I'm so glad I ignored my 'stop making a fuss over nothing' feelings and went in and got the test!

Harverinalovesxmassandwiches Sat 27-Dec-14 20:31:29

Sorry I didn't come back earlier op I fell asleep again!

In my case I had a failed induction which resulted in an emergency section. Emergency in the sense that it wasn't planned.

There is no way of knowing what owl happen in your case. Just be prepared for lots of waiting around if you are induced, especially if you are not physically ready. It may take several attempts before anything happens. This is normal. I had 3 pessaries before my waters broke.

Read up on what to expect during inductions and c sections to prepare yourself for both. That way you won't be freaked out by what is going on around you. I found having the info comforting when staff were busy and not able to spend time explaining each step with me.

My labour was a wonderful experience despite me needing a section in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now