Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A good book for my partner

(16 Posts)
Jenjenwoo Fri 26-Dec-14 19:04:48

Hi everyone,
I'm nearly 6 weeks pregnant and looking for some good books to read up on what to expect but more importantly I would like to find a book my partner can read. I have recently started to feel very tired and a little bit queasy around food but my boyfriend doesn't seem to understand or sympathise. I don't think he is being purposely insensitive I just think he honestly doesn't understand what happens to a woman's body and mind during pregnancy. I'm also being overly cautious and resting if I get slight cramping as I had a miscarriage at the end of September so I something think he gets sick of me saying "I'm soon tired" or "I don't feel so good"

Any suggestions ?

Thank you xx

Jaffakake Fri 26-Dec-14 22:14:28

To be honest, I wouldn't expect your boyf to read anything you give him! My dh is generally sympathetic & also a bit if a reader but he's never picked up a book on this subject!

What to Expect is the general go to book.

applecatchers36 Fri 26-Dec-14 22:16:50

Depends what age DP is, if he is a younger Dad then ' from lad to Dad' is informative and funny....

Luciferbox Fri 26-Dec-14 22:16:50

My DH reads all the time, I got him a couple of books for Father's Day (Haynes baby manual types). He didn't even open them. He said he knew what to do because I talked at him about it all the time.

Psmith83 Fri 26-Dec-14 22:57:21

Hey OP!
To contrast with previous posters' opinions, my OP has enjoyed reading up on pregnancy, though he waited for the 12 week scan to read it as he didn't want to get too attached. I bought him the 'dummies guide' to pregnancy for dads (no nonsense- lots of billet points) he (very cutely) quotes things at me. It's great. Last week he thoughtfully informed me that my nipples had darkened, which he'd read about in the 'don't be freaked out when...' section. Ha! grin

Jenjenwoo Fri 26-Dec-14 23:44:02

Hi,

Thanks for the responses I'll get myself on amazon.
I just wish he would understand what I am going through, but I suppose that's every pregnant woman's wish. He's 35 and I'm nearly 34, he's not a massive reader but I'm sure he could cut the amount if time he sits on twitter follows sports results by 30 mins each day and fit in some educational reading, after all we have to do the really hard work!! Xxx

Sprink Fri 26-Dec-14 23:46:10

'What to Expect' is dry as a bone. Get him 'The Best Friend's Guide to Pregnancy,' which is very informative and an absolute laugh.

Read it yourself as well.

Sprink Fri 26-Dec-14 23:50:47

Just asked husband--also have a look at

--What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding, and
-- Be Prepared: A Pratical Handbook for Dads (more baby-related than pregnancy-related)

Both books approach with humour, which can go down well.

excitedbutsick Sat 27-Dec-14 11:48:20

My DH has The Expectant Dad's Handbook which he has found really useful.

phoenixrose314 Sat 27-Dec-14 11:58:30

There was a book like a Haynes Manual for Dads - hilarious and honest, all in very man-friendly language and amusing because they talk about the baby like a car the whole way through, my husband thought it was hysterical and loved it so much he even lent it to his brother when he and his wife were expecting.

Can't remember what it was called, the Baby Manual or something like that... you can get it on Amazon for quite cheap.

leanne963 Sat 27-Dec-14 12:35:38

I bought my partner 'Commando Dad' and it looks brilliant!

LIG1979 Sat 27-Dec-14 12:35:43

My husband read pregnancy for men. However, he wanted it on Kindle so he could read it on the train as he didn't want other people knowing he was reading it.

It did mean he turned into a know it all about pregnancy! (which was helpful when I thought I was dying and he suggested it was heartburn.)

kalidasa Sat 27-Dec-14 12:54:23

Bit early for you as it's about having a baby rather than being pregnant but I really really remember DH sitting beside me in bed reading the opening section of 'Your Baby and Child' by Penelope Leach shortly before DS was born and starting to cry! Then I read it and totally lost it as well. We still both read her a lot, she is so kind and sensible about everything.

'What to expect' is dreadful, so preachy and boring. The only bit DH read from that was the page on managing an emergency delivery at home, just in case!

A lot of the pregnancy apps have a 'tips for the partner' section each day/week.

sianihedgehog Sat 27-Dec-14 13:43:25

I gave my other half Kate Evans's "Bump", and told him to read it as he was driving me NUTS with trying to have conversations about stuff he didn't even know the basics about. It's definitely aimed at women, but it's funny, absolutely packed with properly researched facts, and has lots of good pictures, so it really appealed to him.

Gillian1980 Sun 28-Dec-14 16:19:39

I gave my DH "the expectant dads handbook" by Dean Beaumont. He has been reading bits over the Christmas holidays and I think it has helped him understand things like the insane tiredness.

He said it's an easy read and that the author isn't irritating.

kaybug Sun 28-Dec-14 17:22:48

The expectant dad's handbook is good. My DH likes how simple and clear it is. Also it's not patronising and helps that it's written by a man smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now