Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

17 weeks Christmas prezzies leads to questions about when to start buying ...?

(8 Posts)
Shaw2be Thu 25-Dec-14 22:12:44

My partner and I haven't had the best luck over the last 3 years but falling pregnant has been amazing! However we are both anxious that yet again it will all be too good to be true. Today both our brothers bought us gifts for the baby - a play gym and a bouncy chair - and we are worried about even having them in the house! We then got chatting about when to buy the rest of the stuff, without leaving it too late but we don't want to be too early either ... advice required!!

Also on another note I'm not showing yet when did you start showing??

Thanks in advance! smile

BreeVDKamp Thu 25-Dec-14 22:18:45

Congratulations!

I am 20 weeks today and started showing last week ish. Still not reliable though, sometimes I'm flat.

Having baby items in the house can in no way make anything bad happen to you or the baby. There is no way it can cause anything to go wrong. We're going to start buying in the new year sales probably and spread out the costs by buying over the following months.

Have fun! smile

TheBooMonster Thu 25-Dec-14 22:24:14

I think it's important to keep in mind that there is absolutely no scientific proof in superstition, but the worry about the idea of it being bad luck to have baby things in the house will cause you a lot of undue stress and if baby comes early and you've put off buying everything you'll end up having to send people out to buy stuff in a panic. Also with a second (or third etc) child the baby things won't be completely removed from the house for the pregnancy, especially if they're still in use by other DC.

We bought the main things ( travel system, crib, stuff for bottle feeding in case I couldn't breast feed) and the plan was to keep it all at my mums so that it could all be transported over nearer the time, as a result baby came and the majority of the stuff we needed was half way across the country, DD spent her first night at home sleeping in the carry cot part of the travel system as that's literally the only piece of equipment we had within a 2 hour drive!

I would say look at what you need to buy and the budget required for it and buy stuff as and when you come across it at a good price after about 20 weeks whilst giving yourself a couple of weeks buffer in case baby comes a bit early.

Shaw2be Thu 25-Dec-14 22:34:50

Thank you both! I think maybe end of jan I can start looking then smile I know that there is no logic to being superstitious and I'm not we are just both worried .. I think after 20 week scan we will feel better too!

Sounds stupid but never even considered baby coming early!!

X

applecore0317 Thu 25-Dec-14 22:41:23

I'm 18 weeks and have a bump, its really popped over the last week. We've already bought a few bits and my family have gone mad. I sometimes worry that we are getting carried away too soon but then I would prefer to stay positive smile plus as we know it's a girl its been difficult to resist, hope all goes well with your 20 week scan

BlinkAndMiss Thu 25-Dec-14 23:31:28

Nothing wrong with buying from the second you find out - it won't make anything bad happen because it absolutely can't, bad things just happen and there are no reasons for them.

I found buying and accumulating slowly over the whole 9 months was useful, it made me feel calmer and more in control. One thing I did do was to cover things over or keep them in boxes or bags in the spare room so I wasn't looking at them all the time, that might help you feel more at ease.

I hate the insecure feeling of how everything could just be taken away, but please realise that having baby equipment around the house won't have bearing on it. My baby stuff is already around the house as DS has just finished using it, if you think about people expecting their next child then that might make you feel better. My baby stuff is all out and about, I haven't seen the point in boxing it all back up. I'm 15 weeks.

bakingmad83 Fri 26-Dec-14 08:15:00

Congrats! I was going to wait till our 20 week scan, but as the summer sales were on a couple of weeks before that and there were some too good to miss offers on baby things, I just started buying then. I'm 39+5 now. Starting to look over the next couple of weeks is maybe an idea if you want to get discounted brand new items, but saying that stores have items on sale throughout the year.

Misty414 Fri 26-Dec-14 13:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now