Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baileys!!

(22 Posts)
Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 11:50:57

Hi everyone,

I'm 33 weeks and not had a drop of alchohol in my pregnancy. But I wanted a little Xmas treat and wondered if it would be ok to have a smaller tumbler of baileys with the family? I can't see it would be too bad but still I've stayed away from booze the whole duration. I just love Baileys at Xmas fsmile

Happy Xmas to all you lovely ladies! smile xxx

Sonics Wed 24-Dec-14 11:55:15

I think you'll be fine. You're allowed 1 or 2 units a week so if it's a small glass that'll fall within that limit. Enjoy!!

My DH has bought a really nice bottle of wine so I can have a little glass tomorrow and I can't wait for it! Such a hardship for him to finish off the rest of the bottle though.....

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 12:01:12

Great can't wait! First taste of alcohol for months, I'm sure bump will enjoy the Baileys too fgrin x

JennyBlueWren Wed 24-Dec-14 12:23:33

So long as you know how to stop after one!

GingerbreadPudding Wed 24-Dec-14 12:24:03

I'm having a sherry tomorrow and I can't wait. I've not touched a drop for eight months wine

cheshirem2b Wed 24-Dec-14 12:32:06

I've had the odd glass for special occasions - you'll be fine. My parents are coming to us for Christmas and they have a different bottle of wine for each course! I'll either have a thimble of each so it works out as a small glass or pick my fave and just have a glass of that! Decisions decisions!

Pointlessfan Wed 24-Dec-14 12:34:56

Enjoy it, it'll be more of a treat than ever! I really enjoyed a festive glass of champagne when I was pregnant last Xmas.

ELA88 Wed 24-Dec-14 12:35:08

I'm looking forward to a little glass of bubbly tomorrow with my Christmas dinner! Xx

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 12:37:01

I have to say I can't wait smile I'm going to have a small tumbler at Xmas and on NYE! I actually think even the small amount will go straight to my head confused

I want to breast feed so I know I won't be able to enjoy a glass of wine properly for a while!

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 12:38:27

Enjoy your xmas ladies and your little glass of tipple for the special day xxxx fsmilefsmile

krazipan Wed 24-Dec-14 12:43:15

I was 30 weeks at Christmas and was looking forward to my glass of Baileys. When I got it in front of me I couldn't face it confused

PuppyMummy Wed 24-Dec-14 13:42:18

to the pp, you can breastfeed and have a glass of wine or two!
I am breastfeeding still at 6 months and still hav wine when I fancy it.

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 13:54:19

Ok! So I could have 1 or 2 glasses of wine in an evening when breast feeding? I'm not really a huge drinker but it's always nice if everyone's have a few drinks in the summer. I know you can get those litmus tests which you pop in your milk.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 24-Dec-14 13:55:12

Current NHS guidance is not to drink at all - think this is a recent change ... But I'll be having a small glass of something I'm sure.

And yes, you can drink while bf. You can drink quite a bit actually baby is more in danger of you dropping him or her than from the alcohol content of your milk wink

AnythingNotEverything Wed 24-Dec-14 14:00:04

This is interesting:

evolutionaryparenting.com/guest-post-breastfeeding-and-alcohol-consumption/

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 14:02:33

Yes I heard that the NHS has changed to saying not to drink at all. But I think if you have stayed away from alcohol the whole duration then I feel the odd glass or two over Xmas/New Years won't be frowned upon. I even heard last week that midwives suggest having a glass of red wine and a paracetamol when you are in the first stages of labour. It's supposed to be as a means to chill you out! Ha!

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 14:11:18

Anythingnoteverything, that's a great article. Thanks so much for posting it. Really had no idea it was so little in the milk.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 24-Dec-14 19:21:18

Sorry Cherry - I was directly responding to Sonics as her comment was actually untrue. I'm not judging your choices ... I suspect I'll have a glass of something tomorrow too!

Cherryblossom200 Wed 24-Dec-14 21:16:55

smile

HeyMicky Wed 24-Dec-14 21:19:46

Oh for goodness sake. Yes. It will be fine

OhTheDrama Wed 24-Dec-14 21:24:29

I'm 32 weeks and have stayed away from any alcohol so far but I'll definately be having a glass of wine with my Christmas dinner tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it. DH has just stood and made a baileys cheesecake and the smell of it in the fridge is divine, I doubt I'll be having any of that as by the smell of it he's been very heavy handed with the baileys!

BadIdeaBear Wed 24-Dec-14 22:09:27

The only reason the NHS has changed the guidance to say nothing is that they don't trust us poor stupid women to know what 1-2 units per week is...
Just like we can't work out how to check eggs for a lion mark. Sorry, I'm getting grumpy about this!

My DH is drinking a Baileys right now - it's what we (well my DSC) put out for Santa! I'm going to have one glass of Viognier tomorrow. Can't wait! I did have a little sip of prosecco last night and the tiniest sliver of a sip of a cocktail too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now