Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rhinitis of pregnancy - aren't hormones just the gift that keeps on giving?!!!

(5 Posts)
hippymama1 Tue 23-Dec-14 10:14:18

I am 13 weeks and have had all day every day nausea, awful constipation, spots, headaches, bloating and gas, exhaustion and now have found out that rather than having a cold for the last 12 weeks, I have rhinitis of pregnancy, which can last for the entire pregnancy and usually gets worse the further along you are. Awesome ;-)

Does anyone have any suggestions for any treatments etc? Or are they just the normal cold and flu treatments?

Also, does anyone know when I will start looking all serene, glowing, fabulous and Earth Mother like?!! ;-)

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 23-Dec-14 10:19:22

I had this in both pregnancies. I only had 13 months between my DC so had what was like a horrendous cold for nearly two years

I also had terribly pregnancy related insomnia too - however (when I finally went) to the doctor, she was terribly sympathetic and let me take anti-histimines under her supervision. She prescribed me ones that make you drowsy so it also helped with the insomnia too. Please go to the doc's and ask for help. I had an awful 7 months of my first pregnancy as the midwife just told me it was one of those things and there was nothing that could be done. It was only when I went to the doctor about something else that I asked and the doctor was really cross that I had bed tild to just get on with it

The good news is that it literally dried up the minute I gave birth and I didn't need to use any of the two jumbo boxes of hankies that I had packed in my labpur bag!

TheScenicRoute Tue 23-Dec-14 10:28:56

My eyes have been streaming for nearly 3 months now! I'm 30 weeks. It started with loads of sneezing and snotting and nose bleeds in the first 12 weeks. The most horrendous dry mouth at night time (to the point that I can't produce saliva in the middle of the night), huge bogeys! Just HUGE! Then the eye watering. I've just had a cold as well, kindly shared by my OH who suffered with it for 3 days.... It took me 2 weeks to get over it. Only 7 weeks left for me now!

juneavrile Tue 23-Dec-14 14:21:17

I've had it my entire pregnancy. It was a bit annoying to start, but later on as I got larger, I found that I had to sleep with my mouth open which made my mouth and throat dry and I would try to drink water to make it better and then want the loo. If I'd known about anti-hystermine earlier I might have asked for some for the bad days...but I'd read that you weren't allowed to take them. It turns out that the dr will prescribe an old form of piriton which were used for so many years that they are considered safe. As pp says, they are the drowsy type which would have been a bonus! Hope you get some help.
You should be able to take laculose or fibregel for the constipation too - do it before the piles get you. One fewer thing to add to the list.
And things often get better after 12 weeks - fingers crossed for you.

leanne963 Tue 23-Dec-14 15:33:51

Oh i hate feeling like I am constantly ill, it is making me want to stay in bed and never move. Plus the constant sneezing and coughing aggravates my ectropian cervix so I am prone to spotting. Eyes look so dark and red. I think I might need to go to the doctors to get something as I suffer from allergic rhinitis anyway and even a change ofrom room temperature will set me off!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now