Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron tablets

(10 Posts)
bev26 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:28:34

I've been on iron tablets for 3 weeks now as I'm feeling no benefits whatsoever being on them. I'm still getting dizzy, palpitations and pale with dark circles under my eyes - Introducing Uncle Fester!!!! Lol.
I'm on 305mg daily iron tablets. Has anyone been on the same and felt no benefits? Also what were your symptoms of low iron? X

bev26 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:30:51

*and I'm feeling no benefits whatsoever - is what it's meant to say lol

thesmallbear Mon 22-Dec-14 18:47:06

Vitamin C helps with iron absorption, so maybe try taking it with a big glass of orange juice.

bev26 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:53:55

I normally do, I might try drinking more orange juice when I take the tablet. I'm hoping I don't need the injection, I've heard it can be pretty sore sad

Dogsmom Mon 22-Dec-14 20:50:18

I'm on 420mg of ferrous fumarate and havent noticed any difference but only started 5 days ago, I was hoping that it was early days and been waiting to suddenly feel amazing but maybe not.

I can't say for sure what my low iron symptoms are, it was picked up on my routine 29 week blood tests, I'm always pale anyway so hadn't noticed being paler and had breathlessness and tiredness in my previous pregnancy with normal iron levels.

The only thing I've been having this time is what I call a funny turn where I suddenly feel lightheaded, clammy, dizzy and like I'm going to faint, I took my blood pressure last time it happened and it was 80/45 so I put it down to that, not sure if low iron would cause it and it has happened again since starting the tablets.

applecore0317 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:55:10

mine is borderline low, I don't really experience any symptoms, spinach is a good source of iron, and great in a smoothie as you can't really taste it

ozymandiusking Mon 22-Dec-14 21:04:48

If you go into labour when anaemic,you are far more likely to bleed, and have problems, if you have been prescribed iron, take vit c at the same time.

Ryslady Tue 23-Dec-14 08:28:41

Hi I am 36+3 and I'm on 420mg ferrous fumerate daily. My iron levels were fine at 28 weeks then I happened to mention to midwife a week ago that occasionally I get funny turns where I suddenly feel hot, clammy, short of breath and have to lie down. She did some bloods and they came back low iron. I've been taking the tablets since Friday and do feel slightly better apart from there a bit rough on my stomach.

Xx

Chunderella Tue 23-Dec-14 09:12:31

I'm on them, still quite dizzy and breathless but I wonder if that's due to being in 3rd trimester and massive bump. Going to have more bloods at I think 35 weeks, so we'll see if they've done anything then. What was your level?

Gudgyx Tue 23-Dec-14 09:22:16

I'm 29 weeks and on 630mg ferrous fumerate daily. Low iron levels got picked up at 16w, and I've been on that since. I didnt have any symptoms of iron being low, and didnt notice any benefit since taking them. But midwife says take them so I'm taking them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now