Talk

Advanced search

Snowsuit for a Jan baby?

(13 Posts)
Pico2 Mon 22-Dec-14 00:47:44

Sorry if this is a bit of a thick question, but do we need a snowsuit/all in one for a Jan baby? We will probably have it in the carry cot part of our travel system when out (not a sling). Do you just bundle them up in blankets? DD was a Sept baby, so didn't need a snowsuit until later, so we don't have a really small one.

durhamgirl Mon 22-Dec-14 01:07:20

Definitely, my daughter was born in January and she had a snowsuit and extra blankets when in the carrycot

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 22-Dec-14 01:44:34

Depends. Do you mostly go places in the car and then are only outside for short spaces of time or do you walk everywhere?

If you use the car a lot then they are pointless as you shouldn't use a snowsuit in a car (interferes with how the straps tighten and can easily cause overheating), so its easier to layer blankets on/off as needed.

If you mostly walk then I think they can be useful.

Jojay Mon 22-Dec-14 01:51:37

I didn't have snow suits for my winter babies - I found them far too faffy to get on and off. Also too bulky for car seats as pp said. Unless you're going to be outdoors for hours on end I wouldn't bother, and layer up with warm clothes and blankets instead.

ImBrian Mon 22-Dec-14 02:36:18

My ds is 5 weeks old, in the car he wears a hat and cardy and we use a morrack wrap. I use the travel system a lot and if it's really cold he gets another blanket on top.

If he's in his pushchair then he has a thin snow suit type thing (it's a penguin one from sainsburys a
And not padded) with a blanket and foot muff.

Personally I don't like padded coats/snow suits and they're not safe to use in car seats. I'd go do a thin fleece type one for sling/pushchair and a morrack wrap for in the car seat.

Pico2 Mon 22-Dec-14 17:24:32

Thanks all. We aren't going to be going on massive walks, so we'll just get some cardigans.

SomeSunnySunday Mon 22-Dec-14 19:37:21

We've got a tuppence and crumple star wrap for (4 day old smile) DD. It looks like a really good alternative to a snowsuit (it was a gift, I hadn't heard of them). I did also go out today and buy a snowsuit too though, but we live in a cold part of the country and will be hanging about in parks with her big brothers a lot.

purplemurple1 Mon 22-Dec-14 19:41:35

You can get fleece babygrows, I put one over the normal clothes as an extra all in one layer.
Then blankets, foot muff etc as needed.

(I use a snowsuit when ds is sleeping outside for his long afternoon nap but I'm in mid Sweden so it's somewhat colder, I didn't bother in the UK.)

AnythingNotEverything Mon 22-Dec-14 19:48:00

Tuppence and Crumble wraps are amazing.

acharmofgoldfinches Mon 22-Dec-14 19:52:34

Pico we are also looking at a Star Wrap (and congrats Sunny smile) as baby can be bundled up snug when they are outside but then have the wrap open when they are in the car.

Alternatively you might just need one because they are gorgeous grin tuppenceandcrumble.com/shop/star_wraps/fleece-baby-star-wrap-brights

Dogsmom Mon 22-Dec-14 20:35:32

Dd1 was born March 2013 and we had very heavy snow 2 weeks later, she had two snowsuits that had been bought as gifts but I found them too bulky so other than trying them on indoors they were never used.
I used to dress her in a long sleeved vest, sleepsuit, cardi and hat to go out and put a fleece blanket over her, it was much more practical and less restrictive for her.
Overheating is dangerous for babies and its quicker to whip a hat off and pullna blanket down than to strip them out of a thick snowsuit.

moggle Tue 23-Dec-14 09:38:29

We use a snowsuit for our 6 wk old DD when we're out with her in the pram and we're mostly going to be outside. If we're going in and out of shops we use a blanket. Never have it on in the car.
Having said that I wouldn't buy one new - ebay is full of them, all barely worn at the baby sizes as you aren't going out that much with them when they're so small. She's grown out of her tiny 0-1m size one so I've just bought her a lovely gap fleece one for £5 (plus £3 p&p) which is £30 in the store.

kitkat321 Sun 28-Dec-14 00:45:14

Our DD was born at the end of December - we have about 10 snow suits (got lots of them as gifts).

I think I've used it twice - don't bother with it in the pram, use a morrick in the car seat and have only used it when out in the baby carrier and even then she seemed to get too hot due to my body heat so they've not really been of much use to us - better to layer with blankets etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now