Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strepsils

(15 Posts)
JennyBlueWren Sun 21-Dec-14 18:55:54

I've had a sore throat for the past week and it's worse this morning. DH returned from shop with Strepsils saying that they don't say not to have them in pregnancy but they do say to ask your doctor first.

Online I've found that there's no evidence that they are unsafe in pregnancy -but that doesn't mean they're safe.

Does anyone know if they're okay to have? I don't want to be putting baby in danger but I'm so sore I'm finding it hard to eat and I also don't want DH to think I'm rejecting his kind effort.

Meplusyouequals4 Sun 21-Dec-14 19:22:53

I wouldn't if I was you. Try hot water with honey and lemon or normal hard boiled sweets.

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Sun 21-Dec-14 19:24:07

What is the active ingredient in strepsils? Googling that might be more helpful.

Maxis1 Sun 21-Dec-14 19:41:26

I checked hte NHS homepage and that said there are no none side effects in pregnancy but I would check with GP or chemist if in doubt.

DisneyDivaWoo Sun 21-Dec-14 19:43:53

I had this on Friday. My doctor encouraged me to have strepsils, lockets, soothers, cavornia tablets etc (I was told those and paracetamol)

DisneyDivaWoo Sun 21-Dec-14 19:44:29

I'm 17 weeks tomorrow x

JennyBlueWren Sun 21-Dec-14 21:10:03

cavornia and fisherman's friends were good for congestion but not helping this throat.
I'm going to try to make an appointment next week for carpal tunnel syndrome so will ask then -even if the throat's better, for future reference.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 21-Dec-14 21:11:53

Strepsils are ok in pregnancy.

pinkie1982 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:53:09

I sent DP to the pharmacy for my sore throat yesterday and they gave him strepsils for me. I'm 10 weeks.

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Sun 21-Dec-14 21:54:53

Marshmallows help with sore throats (seriously!)

Artistic Mon 22-Dec-14 00:42:05

Make a honey ginger solution at home - quick recovery & completely safe.

Grate a large piece of ginger. Squeeze the grated ginger until all the juice is extracted. Add honey. Retain the 'spice' in it by keeping honey low...works like magic. You only need a spoon or two every few hours. I've had this in cupfuls..while pg & now bf.

JennyBlueWren Mon 22-Dec-14 11:59:09

Sounds good -I'll dispatch DH for marshmallows and ginger root.

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Mon 22-Dec-14 13:59:37

Hope you feel better soon!

Kungpowkitten76 Tue 23-Dec-14 12:08:27

I am just getting over a cold. I have been having strepsils and its ok to use an inhaler, but not the nasal sprays.
As far as paracetamol goes, the MW told me it was fine to take, but the print on the pack says not to take if pregnant, so I don't take any.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 23-Dec-14 15:27:19

Paracetamol is ok - they gave me it at hospital so definitely fine!

(I wasn't in hospital with a sore throat, obvs!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now