Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried, 37 weeks and heavy nosebleeds with large clots.

(9 Posts)
VainVulva Sun 21-Dec-14 08:43:52

In the last three days I have had three heavy nosebleeds which lasted from 30 minutes to an hour.

During these I passed numerous large bloods clots, which really freaked me out, they were like lumps of liver.

I was on aspirin up to 34 weeks, so wondering if this is why they lasted so long.

I'm anaemic, on iron tablets.

I'm also on blood pressure tablets since ten weeks, had pre eclampsia in previous pregnancy and was starting to get high blood pressure at the start of this pregnancy but my blood pressure has bee spot on since taking the tablets.

I was last in the antenatal clinic on Friday, blood pressure was fine.

I'm really worried.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Sun 21-Dec-14 08:48:48

Ring your midwife. They will help and it will put your mind at rest. Mine always said if I was worried it wasn't a waste of their time to ring.

Singleandproud Sun 21-Dec-14 08:50:39

From a first aid point of view If any nosebleeds last more than 20mins (leaning forwArd pinching your nose for 10 minutes, release the pressure and see if it's stopped - if not repeat once more.) if it doesn't stopped I'd be sending them to A&E. Which is where you should be going if your pregnant and had several very heavy one.

confuddledDOTcom Sun 21-Dec-14 08:56:24

I'd either ring triage or take yourself up to A&E. that's far too long for a nosebleed to continue and you've been off aspirin awhile.

I'm wondering though why you're on aspirin as if it's thrombophilia that can cause nosebleeds too and I get clotty nosebleeds when I'm not on aspirin. You may need to still be on them.

VainVulva Sun 21-Dec-14 09:01:46

Thanks for you responses, I was on aspirin due toa previous miscarriage.

I tried pinching my nose but even though I was sitting upright with my head leaning slightly forward it made the blood go down my throat, so I stopped the pinching, maybe I should have persevered with the pinching!

I really don't want to go into hospital but think I may have no choice now. Will ring up and see what they say.

GoldenKelpie Sun 21-Dec-14 09:02:35

OP, I am prone to nosebleeds, the clots are the blood starting to coagulate which is normal. My method is to strongly pinch my entire nose for five minutes to stop the bleed. I am usually at work so want to minimise the inconvenience. If I just pinch the bridge of my nose it is not enough, the bleed will continue for ages.

As a poster above said anything over 20 minutes needs to be reported.

ChippyTuesday Sun 21-Dec-14 09:03:23

I had awful nosebleeds several times daily when I was pregnant, including clots. They stopped as soon as ds was born. I regularly looked like an extra in a horror movie because it used to just gush.....Once I had to walk home in the summer with an huge bump, a white tshirt on and covered in blood grin sure all will be fine.

Kundry Sun 21-Dec-14 09:05:16

Go to A+E - someone needs to look up your nose, it may need packing.

Your midwife is not an expert on noses.

confuddledDOTcom Mon 22-Dec-14 02:39:59

I hope you've got advice now. It sounds like they think you have been miscarrying due to your clotting levels and if you're clotting before is left your nose they're probably right. You do need to see someone though and possibly go back on aspirin (which sounds counterintuitive but clotting too much can cause bleeds)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now