Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Having contractions but planned c section still 2 and a half weeks away!

(30 Posts)
joosiewoosie Sat 20-Dec-14 03:35:48

Hi all,
I think I'm having contractions - was induced last time and had EMCS due to no progress, so don't really know what natural contractions feel like.

I'm 36+2 (just about) and am scheduled a planned c section at 39 weeks, due to a massive fibroid, and now a breech baby.

I've been having big tightenings all week, but last night from 6 ish, I've been having period pain like stomach cramps sometimes spreading round to my back, and sometimes staying where they are.

They don't last long - maybe 30 secs to a minute, but are fairly painful. Paracetamol is not touching them really. They are coming every 15/20 mins fairly regularly now. They even woke me up from an hours sleep at 1am.

I've been making lists and highlighting what to record over xmas in the tv magazine to try and distract myself and pass the time! I don't want to go in to hospital in the middle of the night as I have a 2.5 yr old toddler DD, who I don't want to distress by waking up to take her to her auntie's! And I doubt they'd do anything for a few hours anyway, and would probably send me home again!

Was just wondering if the great MN has any advice? I've only had one hours kip so far tonight, as as soon as I snuggle and settle again, the next contraction comes and it hurts and wakes me up! If this is it, I know gonna I'm be shattered for the next year at least!

If it carries on like this I'll be calling maternity assessment in the morning - had a massage booked in the morning and am meant to be going to see Santa with my little girl in the afternoon, so it's blooming typical! Having said that, my spd is getting me down quite a bit so, I guess, as long as baby is ok and ready to come out, it'd be better off for all of us!

Sorry to waffle on - random thoughts of the night are taking over.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

havi

joosiewoosie Sat 20-Dec-14 03:39:28

Forgot to say, the crampy pain feels like when you need to go when you've got a bug. I've had loose stools all week too. At least there can't be much in there in that respect I guess!

SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Sat 20-Dec-14 03:46:17

Ring the hospital and ask for advice. Is your DP at home? Could you take a taxi over to the hospital?

joosiewoosie Sat 20-Dec-14 03:57:08

I rang them at 7ish last night after the first few contractions. She said to pop the paracetamols and call again if they get regular or more intense. I feel a wally calling in the middle of the night, so think I'll try and wait til 6 which is a more respectable hour for all concerned! Am I being foolhardy do you think? I don't think labour tends to progress too quickly does it?

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Dec-14 03:59:57

You have totally described contractions. I was told to go in when they were something like a minute long and 4 mins apart. With both my births I went from 0-10cm in 7 hours but contractions were never more than 30s long. My advice would be to make plans to go into hospital pretty soon.

But yes, if this has been going on this 6pm yesterday,I'd say they were proper cobtractions.

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Dec-14 04:01:47

Babies are born at all hours of the day and night. Maternity and labour wards are busy 24/7. They will not think you a wally for calling in the middle of the night.

Gunpowder Sat 20-Dec-14 04:02:13

Don't feel a wally. Call them again right now. Much easier to do an EMCS before your contraction are full on.

Good luck! smile

Mrsgrumble Sat 20-Dec-14 04:07:27

I would go straigh in an call on the way, best of luck to you

joosiewoosie Sat 20-Dec-14 04:17:00

Ok - I hear ya! Am gonna ring now! Ta x

joosiewoosie Sat 20-Dec-14 04:31:17

I called them. She's invited me in but said it was fine to wait til 6 or 7 so I can sort my little one out without too much disruption for her, with the exception being that I should get there quick if contractions get to one every 5 mins.
Thank you all. Will keep you posted! Might have a xmas baby at this rate!smile

CurlyLocks87 Sat 20-Dec-14 05:20:20

Good luck OP. It sounds like things are kicking off ����

joosiewoosie Sat 20-Dec-14 10:49:23

Have been admitted for observation as contractions still coming. Thanks for cyber advice! X

TheScenicRoute Sat 20-Dec-14 11:51:43

Good luck smile

Keepontrudging Sat 20-Dec-14 16:58:37

How's it all going ?

Gunpowder Sat 20-Dec-14 17:25:41

Hope all ok! smile

bonzo77 Sat 20-Dec-14 17:34:59

Any news for us? Hope all's ok.

Jodie1982 Sat 20-Dec-14 17:47:41

Ooooo sounds like something is occurring. Hope everything is ok OP? Best wishes. flowers

CrispyFern Sat 20-Dec-14 17:49:46

Good luck!

joosiewoosie Sun 21-Dec-14 06:17:10

Hi all. They were indeed contractions. I was plugged into a ctg machine for a bit first thing and admitted to a ward for observation at 9.30 ish. By 2, they were still coming at a similar frequency and intensity but I found that codeine plus paracetamol took the edge off enough for them to feel mild rather than strong.
I badgered the midwives to see the one Dr that was on for all obs and gynae as by this point I was getting stir crazy (my sis was looking after my little girl but I'd had enough of being stuck in a hospital bed doing nothing!)
I talked to the dr who examined me again and reassured me that nothing had changed cervix wise since this morning - it was still closed and showing no signs of significant dilation.
She explained that because my fibroid (which is the size of a honeydew melon) is stretching the uterus so much, the small contractions that I am getting are amplified to be stronger than usual because my poor womb can't stretch too much more!
She suggested drinking tonnes more water, keeping dosed up on the painkillers and seeing how it goes. She thought they might ease as for some reason my uterus might have been irritated.
I was desperate to get home and have a long, hot, deep bath and relax in my own home, so I was discharged.
I'm pleased to say that, after 2 pints of icy water, an hour long deep lavender bubble bath while watching strictly, and having some chips for tea, I want to bed dosed up at 8.45 and actually slept! I woke at 12.30, surprised that contractions hadn't interrupted my slumber, used the loo and then went back off til 5.45 - with the usual loo breaks and one more lot of paracetamol.
I'm amazed - I thought that baby was well on its way yesterday, but it looks like it's comfy and not in a big hurry after all!
I've got my planned consultant appoint tomorrow (Monday) to attend as usual. I'll be asking what the options are re bringing c section delivery forward a bit, slightly closer to 38 weeks - because I'm scared of it all kicking off again and being in pain neither me or baby need to worry about.
I guess we'll have to see. But for now, my daughter had a practise run at her Auntie's house and her first ever sleepover, so I'm sure she'll have had fun! And I'm in v v mild discomfort and pain, compared to what I thought was early labour for nearly 24 hours!
Thanks for all your support. Will keep you posted as to what the consultant says at our meeting tomorrow. Happy Sunday all. Xsmile

CrispyFern Sun 21-Dec-14 09:52:12

Great news, have a good christmas!

Keepontrudging Sun 21-Dec-14 14:02:04

Great news. Hope tomorrow goes well x

joosiewoosie Mon 22-Dec-14 10:16:50

Thank you!
I have to say, I've been laid up since midday on Sunday as the pains are really strong and I can't keep anything down. Not good.

The thought of 2 and a half more weeks if this is really getting me down! Plus I'm maxing out the painkillers which can't be good for baby that long term.

I'm being driven to the appointment this afternoon, but sitting up makes the pain worse. I don't know hope I'm going to cope - with anything!

My sis has come down from 100 miles away to look after my dd for me, as DH has had to use his remaining holiday this year to be carried over for paternity once bubs is here. I'm feeling like a family drain, a pain and moaning Minnie at the moment!

Sorry for the doom and gloom post. Just want to tell it how it is at the mo.confused

Gunpowder Mon 22-Dec-14 12:34:01

Oh you poor thing! Hope he/she stays in a bit longer and doesn't cause you too much pain in the meantime. Hope you have a lovely relaxing Christmas. smile

HenriettaTurkey Mon 22-Dec-14 12:40:26

Thinking of you! You are 1 week further along than me, with a similar aged dc. Hope all is sorted for the best very soon...

Keepontrudging Mon 22-Dec-14 15:51:01

Oh no! How did it go? Thinking of you too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now