Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Babymoons

(36 Posts)
Teeste Fri 19-Dec-14 17:51:42

Did you go on one or are you planning one? Where and when did you go and what did you do? DH and I are considering going on one in Feb when I'll be around 22-24 weeks, assuming all goes well. Just wondering if anyone had any stories or experience, good or bad!

jennifer86 Fri 19-Dec-14 18:13:53

Didn't know it was called this but dp and I went away for about 4 days when I was 27 weeks. Went to Stockholm as never been before, which was really nice and they have great Christmas markets! Not sure when our next holiday will be, so it was great to get away for a few days! smile

LuannDelaney Fri 19-Dec-14 18:17:40

I thought a babymoon was the confinement period, when you stay at home with your newborn.
I went to Paris when I was pregnant with dc1, it was fine, I may have been tired with all the walking.

Bolshybookworm Fri 19-Dec-14 18:19:57

We went to north wales for a week when I was about 25 weeks. I have such lovely memories of that trip, it was our last one pre-children and it was really special.

JustTryEverything Fri 19-Dec-14 18:20:28

Did top end all inclusive adult only in Egypt. Absolute heaven. Did nothing apart from eat, sleep, wallow in luxurious baths and read. Perfect!!

BadIdeaBear Fri 19-Dec-14 18:32:48

We're going to Malta when I'm 24 weeks (I'm 10 now). I have a conference to talk at during first three days but DH coming with me for the whole week (to carry bags!) and then we're going do 5 star chilling for 4 days or so.

Direct flight with Easy Jet to Malta from Manchester (easy airport to do by train) and Malta is v small and compact and chilled, apparently.

freelancegirl Fri 19-Dec-14 18:36:01

Had a lovely couple of weeks in St Lucia when about 20 weeks, a week in spain at 26 and a last weekend away together in Florence just before I had to stop flying. All gorgeous! Except for not drinking...

Teeste Sun 21-Dec-14 17:38:16

Thanks for all the replies! We were thinking maybe a spa weekend in the Cotswolds or Lake District, but am now eyeing up Paris fgrin

Although maybe it's better to go for something quieter rather than sightseeing-y? Are you normally tired around 20-24 weeks? I've not done this before!

TinyMonkey Sun 21-Dec-14 19:55:39

We had a week on a Greek island at 19 weeks, and a week in the south of France with friends at 24 weeks in August. Both were lovely. Although the week in France was pretty hot, which was quite tiring, and I had a touch of SPD which was making sleeping quite uncomfortable. 24 weeks is still an ok time though, It was only the heat that was tiring I think. In Greece we just spent every day on a deserted beach, swimming in beautiful azure sea. Happy days.

Now we are dealing with the reality of a three week old baby, I would definitely recommend getting as many holidays in as possible!

TinyMonkey Sun 21-Dec-14 19:57:11

Yeah, sightseeing when pregnant, not so much fun. Every pregnancy is different, and although I remained active up to the end, I think a relaxing break would be more enjoyable.

Gemzybelle Sun 21-Dec-14 20:12:01

I'm 24 weeks now and admittedly a bit slower than me pre pregnancy self but not so much that it would stop me having a holiday. Although I would agree that sightseeing may not be the best idea.

Enjoy!

Heels99 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:15:28

Spa weekends aren't the best when pregnant as you can't do steam rooms,sauna, hot tub etc

snailsinlove Sun 21-Dec-14 20:16:38

We went for a long weekend in Tallin when I was 25 weeks, DP arranged it all as a surprise so I didn't know where we were going until we checked in at the airport grin

It was brilliant, direct flight, reasonable time on the plane, about three hours, and we went in October so it was chilly, much nicer for me than anywhere hot as I have been totally boiling all pregnancy!

We did quite a lot of sightseeing, but stayed in an apartment rather than a hotel so we could hang out and have dinner there if I was too tired to go out. Really lovely and spent most evenings in the bath reading grin

AuntieStella Sun 21-Dec-14 20:23:22

Luann I agree, the usual meaning of 'babymoon' is the postnatal period, especially if you hunker down with just your baby.

It's used that way in all the active, natural and hypnobirthing type books and has been for some decades

It's only in the last year or two that I've seen this (rather confusing) new variant in use.

For a mid-late pregnancy holiday, I went to Portugal and Madeira.

You do need to check you are properly insured, and don't attempt anywhere that you need jabs (that you are not already in date for) or malaria prophylaxis.

Due2015 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:33:27

We went to the Swan Inn in the Lake District was lovely just to relax, eat and spend time together! The pamper package was lovely too

croon979 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:48:48

Haven't booked anything yet but, all being well, DH and I are planning a little last holiday for two at end of Feb/beginning of March. I will be around 25/26 weeks. We are looking at Dubai. It is not too far away, has excellent medical care, luxury hotels and warmth! One of my friends had a little babymoon there last year and said it was ideal. Looking to bag a deal in next few weeks. Will be planning on doing nothing at all other than chilling out!

WipsGlitter Sun 21-Dec-14 21:51:08

We went to Rome for ten days. Was great but not relaxing as there was so much sightseeing!

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Mon 22-Dec-14 04:13:53

I thought the babymoon was a last big holiday before the baby-making, or indeed a relaxing time away to get the baby-making started!

We had 3 days in Shanghai at 15 weeks and are also spending 3 days in Guangzhou at about 30 weeks. No time/chance for a big one tho sad

bradders85 Mon 22-Dec-14 08:39:41

I'm hoping to book a week in the canaries for Feb half term, sunny but with a nice breeze. smile I'll be 29 weeks then and to my knowledge if you fly past 28 weeks you need a fit to fly note from your doctor. it will be lovely to relax and have one last getaway!! x

Only1scoop Mon 22-Dec-14 08:43:03

Went on holiday at 30 weeks to La Palma. Nice island but we were very remote. Worried me a little.

Topsyloulou Mon 22-Dec-14 10:22:28

We went to Tuscany in June when I was 26 weeks. We did lots of sight seeing & walking around. I just took it a lot slower than normal & had lots of stops at cafés for ice cream. The only thing that got to me was the heat so I would suggest not going anywhere too hot. 20-22 weeks is the best time to go as you'll still have energy & your bump won't be too big. Have a great time whatever you decide.

TimefIies Mon 22-Dec-14 11:38:30

Definitely recommend doing it in your second trimester - 17 to 30 weeks was when I felt far better than 1st or 3rd trimester,and you can eat what you want without heartburn or nausea!

If you're planning to have spa treatments, ring up and discuss with the staff first - mine would only do a head shoulder arm and hand massage out of their body treatments (they didn't want to touch torso or feet). Worth going somewhere that doesn't take kids - it'll be a while before you can go back! Enjoy!

mrsnec Mon 22-Dec-14 11:52:18

We went for a long weekend away with my parents when I was 26 weeks. It involved an hour long flight. We were going to a country I wouldn't have wanted to give birth in though. (Turkey) but I took all my notes with me in case anything happened. We did a lot of shopping and sightseeing but I think I would have preferred something a bit more relaxed.

I got pg very quickly after an mc and before that ttc 5 years and I was very sick so I was anxious throughout my pregnancy. As a result I didn't really enjoy that trip.

Thinking about it, a nice hotel closer to home, just us would probably have been better. If you don't have the same anxiety then do it but go as early as you can.

FATEdestiny Mon 22-Dec-14 11:54:37

I thought a baby moon was a period of confinement in the first few weeks after giving birth?

I would highly recommend this ^

Roxie85 Mon 22-Dec-14 21:25:38

I went for a weekend in York at 29 weeks. It was fab. Lots of yummy food and a compact enough place that I could wander lots. Did a fair bit of walking but loved the fresh air and the extra excuse for cakes and lots of good at the markets.
M&S was my toilet stop of choice and we used the park and ride buses to get around except for the evening when we got the hotel to order a taxi.

It's def a good idea to have 1 final break. I was glad we did once the exhaustion of having a baby arrived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now