Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I take anything?

(13 Posts)
pinkie1982 Fri 19-Dec-14 13:42:25

I have a headache, sore throat & weird roof of mouth feeling on the right which is sore, glands up on the right side of my neck and right ear feeling a bit funny.

I am at work now and am working tonight too.
I am 9+6 and feel rough today with this.
Is there ANYTHING I can take to feel a little better?

MaltedMilkBiscuits Fri 19-Dec-14 13:43:43

You can take paracetomol, its perfectly safe.

You should also try and rest and drink lots. Hope you feel better.

MrsLovell Fri 19-Dec-14 13:53:02

Paracetamol, take the full reccommended dose for adults, don't mince around and take a half dose, and take it as offten as you are allowed (i.e. every 4 hours, no more than 8 tablets in a day) Don't take the ones with added caffeine or decongestant, or lemsip.
Hot water bottle on the bits that hurt
Drink hot water with lemon and honey for the sore throat, suck any old un medicated boiled sweet will increase saliva and help your throat a bit too.
You use vick vapo rub to inhale if you have a blocked nose too, but I don't think olbas oil is allowed. Also when I had a cold the chemist gave me menthol crystals, if you have time and space to do this you can put a few in a bowl of hot water and inhale the fumes it gives off, again might clear your sinuses and make your head feel better.
Above all rest! and go off work sick if you have to! Don't be a hero. I hope you feel better soon xxx

pinkie1982 Fri 19-Dec-14 13:56:04

Thank you!
I think I have some paracetomol in my drawer.

I am trying to get cover for my job tonight so I can just go home and lie down.

JennyBlueWren Fri 19-Dec-14 15:08:51

If you get a blocked nose try Covonia (sp?) tablets or Fisherman's Friends -not as good as what I'd normally have but better than nothing.

pinkie1982 Sat 20-Dec-14 10:23:11

My throat is killing me. Paracetamol isn't touching it

Brummiegirl15 Sat 20-Dec-14 10:53:43

I'm 7 weeks and I have a really really bad cold and feel shocking.

I'm doing paracetamol, venos cough mixture, Vicks vaporub, jakemans menthol sweets and hot ribena. Oh and lots of sleep as off work with it.

It's crap though and I feel shocking so I feel your pain

pinkie1982 Sat 20-Dec-14 11:12:22

Just sent DP out to the pharmacy.

tiggy2610 Sat 20-Dec-14 11:16:37

There are certain throat lozenges that you can take to help with the sore throat. smile I had to go and speak with the lovely pharmacist in Boots but he took the time to pick out the ones which he would recommend which were missing the 'bad' ingredient. I think I have boots own brand honey and lemon ones in my drawer at work.

Sorry I can't remember what the specific 'bad ingredient' is, I'm currently the same as you and curled up in bed with a cotton wool head, pounding chest and that horrible sore roof of mouth and my brain is failing me!

Purplevicki Sat 20-Dec-14 11:57:48

And suck ice lollies!

5madthings Sat 20-Dec-14 12:03:13

Don't want to worry you but this sounds like what I have had. Obviously at this time of year I couldn't be ill am too busy! Dud paracetamol, gargled with salt water etc but ended up really poorly, felt like I had flu. Trip to the Drs who took one look at the huge glands, ie visible from across the room and my mingling throat and temp etc and now on ten day course of antibiotics. Feeling so much better now they are kicking in.

Rest up drink loads and see Dr if you need to.

Havingkittens Sat 20-Dec-14 12:05:33

Get soluble paracetamol and gargle with it before swallowing. It's the best cure for a sore throat, pregnant or not! Also, manuka honey which has amazing antibacterial and antibiotic properties.

Vicks vapo rub and Sterimar saline spray for blocked nose and chesty cough. Steam inhalation helps a lot too.

SoMuchForSubtlety Sat 20-Dec-14 12:09:56

Rest rest rest. It's awful having a cold when you're pregnant, there's so little you can do. Just curl up in bed, have lots of hot honey and lemon drinks and wait for it to go away. I didn't take paracetamol when I was pregnant because I'm a bit paranoid about that sort of thing (also this but it is medically advised as ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now