Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breast feeding after c section

(13 Posts)
Ladytaylor16 Thu 18-Dec-14 19:29:04

Hi, I'm expecting in June and really want to breast feed for as long as I can . My second ds was c section but I did not produce any milk!

Something which I'm really worried about happening again, has any one had any issues with breast feeding after a c section?

Quitelikely Thu 18-Dec-14 19:31:31

I had a c section and produced milk. I can't understand why you didn't. What did the midwives say about it? I know it can take a day or so to get flowing.

Maybe it's a medical condition.

SmileAndNod Thu 18-Dec-14 19:35:19

I've BF both my babies born by section (one in theatre!). Didn't experience any problems as such, but it did take longer for my milk to come in, and also I had to encourage last baby to feed as she was very sleepy. Just try and get all the support you can and basically do nothing but feed yourself and your baby for a while. Your midwife should be able to point you in the direction of help, should you need it. Good luck!

SilverStars Thu 18-Dec-14 19:39:58

I had c-section and no milk for ten days. I had to formula feed and express with a pump and offer bf each time ( before bottle) whilst waited for milk to come in. Day ten I got a few ml, then 5ml a time and started mixed feeding. Weeks later stopped formula.

reallystuckonthisone Thu 18-Dec-14 19:42:31

I had a c-section and my milk came in by the gallon at three days, just like they say. I didn't even know it could cause a problem.

Beangarda Thu 18-Dec-14 19:42:31

I have one child, born by ELCS, and like you, my milk never came in after the initial colostrum, despite immediate skin to skin, no health problems, taking all possible advice from LLL, midwives, HV, NCT lactation person, GP blood tests etc etc. No one ever came up with an explanation.

I'm sorry it happened to you, too - I found it unbelievably miserable. I was all set to deal with pain, latch problems, cracked nipples, tongue tie etc, but I didn't ever even get to try!

Sorry to have no advice, but no one ever explained it, and all the professionals were baffled. If I were to have another child, I would bear in mind that it might happen again, but that it would be through no fault of mine, and resolve not to beat myself up about something I couldn't help.

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 18-Dec-14 19:43:57

I had a c section and had problems feeding but absolutely no issue with amount of milk. It led to a lot of embarrassing incidents.

I also wonder what your midwives said about it???

Smile and nod, forgive me but I'm confused. What do you mean 'one in theatre'? Aren't all sections in theatre? <confused and waiting to be embarrassed by lack of knowledge face>

SmileAndNod Thu 18-Dec-14 20:06:57

Sorry Yes I meant I fed one baby in theatre whilst being stitched up - she just couldn't wait! My other one (emcs) took longer to feed and she was the one that we had to encourage a bit more. 18 months now and won't leave the boob alone so she got the hang of itgrin

Ladytaylor16 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:18:56

Thanks or all replys smileseems like a mixed response. With my first i had a forcep delivery and produced milk like no end.
My second son was quite big when he was born and very Hungry too! I tried to express and even in to a teaspoon nothing came out. Felt very miserable and particullay don't want to feel like that again!
There is lots of advice online but I think it's down to percaverience !

Tranquilitybaby Fri 19-Dec-14 05:17:02

See if you can talk to a fb counsellor now who may have some good advice for you.

I'm having an ELCS in June and plan to breastfeed whilst still in theatre my midwife said it's encouraged now for bonding and to help stimulate the milk to come in as soon as is possible after a section.

Tranquilitybaby Fri 19-Dec-14 20:40:34

Bf not fb!

CocobearSqueeze Sat 20-Dec-14 07:09:46

I had a CS and milk came by day 2. I had no issues breast feeding. I kept the baby on the breast for most of day 1 even though much wasn't coming out.

Jaffakake Sat 20-Dec-14 07:56:25

I had emcs last time & milk came in at day 6. No one explained it could be delayed & we weren't prepared. I managed to feed for 12 weeks but had a bit of a supply issue, but I believe it was to do with my long labour. Tonnes of drugs & slow recovery meaning my body just wasn't up to it.

I'll give it a go again this time, post planned section, but won't beat myself up over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now