Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What doll to buy older sibling for when new baby arrives?

(9 Posts)
bagofsnakes Wed 17-Dec-14 21:14:30

We're looking to get our 2.5 year old DS a doll for the arrival of our new baby. I'd like one that he could bath, dress etc. so that he can join in with all the new baby activities. Can anyone recommend one? Has anyone purchased one that they've really liked? Price not really an issue as MIL has offered to buy but I wouldn't want her spending too much.

Also, we don't know the sex of our baby-to-be so I'm deliberating as to whether I get a girl or boy doll... any thoughts?
Any advice appreciated - thank you :-)

Asleeponasunbeam Wed 17-Dec-14 21:21:32

I deliberated for ages over this and bought DD a lovely baby boy doll from ELC (baby cupcake maybe?). She was almost 3 and played with dolls quite a bit.

She has never played with this doll - she's 5 now. DS likes him! She talks about how DS brought him for her when he arrived and how he's a special doll, but has never played with him.

I like to dress him sometimes!

Hope you find one your little boy likes!

Dollyemi Wed 17-Dec-14 21:23:31

My 23 month old has a "my first baby Annabelle" but its body is made of fabric so she will be able to mimic bathing and dressing when new baby comes along in April but won't be able to put real water in the bath. We've done the same as you and bought her a doll changing mat and bath with all the accessories as a gift from her new sibling. Maybe the next version of baby Annabelle as you can keep buying it new outfits etc. there's a baby born doll advertised a lot on tv too, can't remember which one offered gender specific dolls, maybe that one.

TheScenicRoute Wed 17-Dec-14 21:24:25

Could mother in law buy the roll after baby arrives to get the right sex? Either that or go for a boy so he can identify it?

stargirl1701 Wed 17-Dec-14 21:25:50

We bought a doll from Hope Education. I bought a female doll because DD1 is a girl grin I bought that doll a toy car seat. Do not do this. I now have yet one more thing to carry! grin

The idea worked though. DD1 breast feeds the doll in the house and when we go to the bf cafe. She changes the nappy and pushes the doll in the pram and puts the doll in the toy sling.

Just don't buy the car seat! grin

Bolshybookworm Wed 17-Dec-14 21:28:37

We bought a doll for my dd (2.5) when her younger sibling came along. She wasn't and still isn't remotely interested- instead she treats her favourite soft toy as her "baby". I wouldn't worry too much- get them a cheap supermarket doll and see if they're interested. And maybe a child's pushchair- both DC love this!

Alyx80 Thu 18-Dec-14 10:22:25

I like the look of this one, they do a boy too www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/fashion-dolls/c-489/dolls/p-2310/la-newborn-gift-set-girl/

purplemurple1 Thu 18-Dec-14 14:56:52

I've just brought one from the pound shop, I figure DS won't know or care about the make etc and is as likely to nurse it as he is to use it as a hammer so no point spending too much on it.

bagofsnakes Thu 18-Dec-14 17:52:49

Great advice and recommendations! Thank you all! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now