Talk

Advanced search

Worried - could this be braxton hicks at 10 and a half weeks?

(16 Posts)
GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 16:50:25

This is my second child, third pregnancy. Had a mmc at 11 weeks in April, so I am rather anxious about this pregnancy.

Last night I experienced a funny 'tingly'/'tight' sensation all over my belly when I was lying in bed. It wasn't painful, just strange and I immediately thought I recognized it as Braxton hicks, but dismissed the thought.
The same sensation has just happened again - just once and just for a few seconds.

I've tried ringing my midwife and she is off duty and I tried ringing the midwife office but they are closed apparently and left the number for the delivery suite. I really don't want to ring the delivery suite, for some reason.

I have had a nasty cold recently, if that makes a difference? I had a private scan at 9 weeks and all was well, but now I'm so concerned I'm starting to get upset and panic!

Anyone experienced this?

kilmuir Wed 17-Dec-14 16:52:11

Unlikely, but the womb does stretch

Lj8893 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:54:41

I certainly had stretching feelings throughout my pregnancy, starting pretty early. Could be that?

GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 16:57:47

Yes, maybe it is muscles stretching. My tummy has definitely started to protrude a bit in the past couple of days.
Really hoping it is just something innocent and trying to not work myself up into a state!
Thanks for the replies.

GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 16:58:27

Or maybe straining from the coughing I've been doing?

lapetitesiren Wed 17-Dec-14 17:01:47

The delivery suite will be used to dealing with calls like yours so don't be nervous to call. In some areas the midwives rotate in the community.let them talk it through with you and put your mind at rest. Hope all is well.

divingoffthebalcony Wed 17-Dec-14 17:07:13

I'm pretty sure its normal to experience BHs in the first trimester, but because the uterus is small it's harder to identify them for what they are. You're also supposed to feel them earlier in subsequent pregnancies.

GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 17:15:48

Tried the delivery suite and couldn't get through, but will try again later.
Now I'm going to be hypersensitive to any odd twinge and sensation - agghh!

divingoffthebalcony Wed 17-Dec-14 17:31:31

www.babycenter.com/0_braxton-hicks-contractions_156.bc

Says here that BHs start at around six weeks, so if you are indeed feeling them you don't need to worry.

I really don't think Delivery Suite or the MAU will be able to help you at such an early stage of pregnancy. As log as you aren't experiencing any genuine pain or bleeding then you really need to try to relax. Easier said than done I know smile

GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 17:37:04

Thanks for that link - slightly reassuring.
I spoke to delivery suite, but receptionist wouldn't let me speak to a midwife and said the standard advice is to go to a&e and ask to see someone from gynae. Obviously not going to do that without pain and bleeding, but it set me off blubbing as it's obviously standard miscarriage advice.

suze28 Wed 17-Dec-14 19:32:37

I had BH with both of my pregnancies from early on, and definitely from 8 weeks with DD2. I hope you're feeling a bit more reassured this evening.

GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 20:27:45

Thanks suze. I'm pleased to hear of someone else having them so early. I'm slightly calmer now and trying not to get too wound up. I'm a worrier at the best of times, but this pregnancy after a miscarriage is pushing me to the limits!

LIG1979 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:46:17

with dc1 I got braxton hicks from around 13 weeks but wasn't sure what they were till much later. (For what it is worth she arrived 38 weeks so it didn't mean anything that they were so early.)

This time got my 1st one at 9 weeks and it was much stronger - I squealed in surprise. mentioned it to the midwife and she said they get stronger and earlier with each pregnancy.

Number3cometome Wed 17-Dec-14 20:50:35

I get them! This is DC3 for me and I am 8+4. Feel them quite a lot but I know what they are from previous pregnancies. Nothing to worry about if not causing pain. I get them especially after sex!

GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 17-Dec-14 21:06:59

Ah fantastic ladies, thank you very much! I might sleep tonight!

NoCupcakesOrCocktails Thu 18-Dec-14 11:20:36

Hi Gently, I've no idea what Braxton hicks feel like as this is my first pregnacy but I have also had lots of tight/tingling sensations. I think I first felt them at 6 weeks. I have also occasionally had what feels like gentle vibrations a few times from 6 weeks. My midwife says it is just the uterus stretching. I'm now nearly 14 weeks and all my scans have been fine so far

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now