Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flu or a cold? Should I be going to the docs or just ride it out?

(6 Posts)
Ilovechops Wed 17-Dec-14 10:15:25

Ok so I'm in bed with what i would describe as mild flu. I have had flu before when not pregnant and it knocked me for six. I feel the same but kind of less so. Possibly as I had the flu jab so i am a bit resistant? I'm 26 weeks pregnant.

Symptoms are aching all over, sort of shooting pains in arms and legs, headache, sore throat, cough and no appetite at all. Also had a temperature (I think although didn't test) but very very hot last night but that's subsided and now just a bit shivery.

I just want to know if there's anything I can take other than paracetamol and if I need to see a Dr as preggers or just ride it out?

I had colds in my last pregnancy, literally streaming with snot but this is very different sort of more in my body than cold like.

Everything I read says flu is really dangerous for pregnant women but surely unless I feel dreadful I'll be be ok in a few days?!

Skeppers Wed 17-Dec-14 10:24:53

I had this last week, so can entirely sympathise- there's a really nasty cold virus doing the rounds at the moment; I'm only 6 wks, but obviously my usual option of drinking bottles of Night Nurse wasn't viable! It took me a whole week to get over this one and I NEVER get sick usually. You can use Vicks (as far as I know- I did) and take a non-medicated linctus for the coughing; I took a minimal amount of Buttercup syrup just to soothe my throat. Also, non-medicated throat lozenges should help. I also drank gallons of Twinings lemon zinger tea laced with honey. I think the best thing is to get some rest and stay hydrated. See the doctor if it gets worse, but not sure there's much they can do if it's just a virus. Maybe give them a bell for a phone consultation to check what you can / can't take? And do try and eat something, even if it's just cup-a-soups or Bovril! Hope you feel better soon.

Ilovechops Wed 17-Dec-14 10:43:13

Thanks skeppers, some good tips there. Managed to eat some toast and a satsuma as I know I've got to eat really for the baby at least! Looks like a day in bed / on the sofa but looking on the bright side should be well for Xmas at least!

JennyBlueWren Wed 17-Dec-14 12:40:25

Trying to keep eating's the hard part! I'm currently off ill with a sorethroat/earache/cold. Have to get up in the morning to have something to eat or else I end up being sick sad But don't want to get up.

As far as going to the doctors -I think you need to watch your temperature as if this rises it could be a problem (and also a good way to differentiate between cold and flu). If you're not sure ring the midwives and ask them -I've done that for a few similar issues during pregnancy and always got good advice.

Brummiegirl15 Sun 21-Dec-14 22:33:59

I'm just getting over a really bad cold. I've also had flu jab so know it's not that.

I had paracetamol regularly, hot ribena, Vicks vaporub. Venos cough syrup and jakemans menthol sweets.

I'm still snotty but coming out other side. Everything was recommended to me by pharmacist

MyNameIsButterfly Sun 21-Dec-14 22:48:29

even if you have a flu jab you can still get flu coz there are loads of different viruses out there. I had something similar and it lasted for 2 weeks full on, I'm 3rd week in and i still got sore throat, funny nose and it was defo a flu. Unfortunately doc didn't allow me to have anything other than paracetamol. Drink lots and force some food down for your baby, i know it's hard but it's very important that you are eating well. Have lots of honey and lemon and just snuggle up on the sofa and get some rest. Hopefully it will pass soon smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now