Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Missed 1st 2or3 pills in new pack & fallen pregnant?

(11 Posts)
Beachmummy3 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:39:05

Hi, I've also posted in conceiving thread... As the title says basically.
I've researched but from what I can see even if egg was released in those 2 or 3 days (highly unlikely going by 2 studies I found), as I'm back on the pill my womb lining would likely be too thin for an egg to settle in.... From what I can understand anyway. Had unprotected sex before & during pill free week & time of missed pills...
Have to wait 2-3weeks to poas anyway.
Today I downloaded an app so I will know in the future what day to start pill again etc, so this shouldn't happen again

Thankyou

elspethmcgillicuddy Tue 16-Dec-14 21:40:44

How many days since intercourse? Copper coil is effective up to five days and provides ongoing reliable contraception.,,

elspethmcgillicuddy Tue 16-Dec-14 21:42:46

Sorry, I didn't explain that well. You need emergency contraception if it is still in the time frame for that to be an option. You also need to abstain/use condoms for next 7days until pill taking is re-established.

Beachmummy3 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:57:11

Thankyou for replying, so it is more possible than I'd thought? I had a coil before, after around 2 years it perforated my uterus & the strings got tangled around one of my Fallopian tubes, really don't fancy one again, painful, as was all the digging around down below on several occasions by Drs to try & find it (they couldn't).
My dh knows I missed 2 or 3 pills, I'll just see what happens as it wouldn't be the end of the world.
I'm just thinking the chances would be incredibly slim?
Have put all dates on this new app I have, so will test just after Christmas with an early test (around 13days after starting pill again) then wait for AF around 4th jan.

More than anything just curious of others experiences

Sonoma Tue 16-Dec-14 22:06:09

I always thought the pills after the 7 day break were the most important to maintain the contraceptive effect, so I'd imagine there is a significant chance at least... Hope you are happy with the outcome whichever way it turns out smile

Beachmummy3 Tue 16-Dec-14 22:14:07

:-) Thankyou, I'll be happy either way, so would dh. Though in future I will be writing down dates of pills!
Am feeling a pressure around area of uterus, no pain. Could that be ovulation?
Sorry, until last month when it ran out/was removed, I was on the implant and (not properly taking) the pill too, so don't really know what my own body would do without either method being there for those 2/3 days.
Thankyou smile

scaevola Tue 16-Dec-14 22:16:55

A 2 day break is enough to alter hormone levels and permit ovulation.

You need alternative precautions for 7 days after restarting.

If that horse has bolted, then emergency contraception if still within the window for it.

Beachmummy3 Tue 16-Dec-14 22:33:05

Thankyou :-)
Sorry, I feel like a silly schoolgirl with these questions (I hope they teach sex ed better now than when I was at school!).....
As I missed tablets, am I likely to have a bleed within the next day or so? (When I only relied on the pill to regulate periods/withdrawal bleeds, - I had the implant too- if I missed 1 or 2 during the pack of usually bleed for a day or 2 within a few days of missing them)

Starting to think I should get the implant again as well as the pill..

Beachmummy3 Wed 17-Dec-14 08:14:53

Bump

SpoonBender Wed 17-Dec-14 08:45:36

Not sure if this is what you want to hear but I recently went on holiday when it was pill free week and forgot to take new packet with me. I probably missed about 4 but re started as soon as I got home thinking not much of it. I'm now 9 weeks pregnant. I bled at around 6 weeks and automatically presumed the worst as i had stopped taking the pill again once I got the positive test but a scan showed everything in the right place with a heartbeat.

Beachmummy3 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:10:25

Thankyou #spoonbender# congratulations, I hope it's happy news for you fsmile
Don't worry about the bleeding, a colleague of mine bled a lot and everything appears fine, she's due next week :-) (she wasn't on the pill)
Thankyou for sharing smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now