Talk

Advanced search

Oh what fresh hell is this?

(7 Posts)
FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Tue 16-Dec-14 20:25:27

30 weeks, second pregnancy. Never experienced this before....

It's like really bad stitch. That sounds pathetic but I mean really bad stitch. All day I've been walking hunched over so now I have backache too. It feels like if I straighten my muscles might rip, it's been on and off for a month or so but never this bad or long lasting.

Does anyone know what it is or how I can alleviate it? I'm in the bath now but it's not doing much.

Thank you!

Sarahg1 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:48:01

I'm 21 weeks and suffering the exact same! Went to DAU last week and had some tests but not hot the results back yet... They said it could be anything from "one of those things" to a UTI, bowel/liver problems or placenta issues. I just had my 20 week scan and no placenta issues then. Eagerly awaiting anyone else's response as currently on my sofa with backache too and bored to tears...

AA29 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:19:19

I had what sounds like the same thing with both my first and second pregnancies, but particularly badly the first time. It was excruciating, crippling pain which came and went over the course of a week or two. It seemed to strike in the evenings. I went to the GP. It was a while ago now (2010) so my memory is a bit faded, but she thought it was a stretched (torn??) intercostal muscle (or was it a stretched muscle at the top of the stomach?). Can't quite remember. Some stretched or torn muscle anyway! It eventually went away, thankfully, and I was otherwise healthy in pregnancy and whatever it was didn't leave any lasting damage to either me or the babies. Fingers crossed it doesn't strike for a third time with this one!

AA29 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:20:25

Should have added I think I was about 21-23 weeks when I had it the first time round. I don't remember when it hit the second time.

CurlsLDN Wed 17-Dec-14 13:25:28

Any chance the baby has turned breech? I used to feel like this when in the last weeks and he'd do a somersault and poke his head into my ribs. Then he'd turn back the next day

AA29 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:58:56

Me again... It's coming back to me now... It wasn't a stretched or torn muscle, but the muscle at the entrance to the stomach having gone in to spasm. It sorted itself out.

Sarahg1 Wed 17-Dec-14 17:28:33

AA29 that totally makes sense, mine tends to be exacerbated by food and has got significantly worse around the same time my terrible heartburn started, I did think it might be something digestive related but if it's near the stomach that explains it! Good to know it's not permanent or damaging!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now