Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What rights do I have if I start a new job when I'm already pg?

(4 Posts)
Guyropes Tue 16-Dec-14 11:45:57

Anybody know? I'm currently self employed but am interested in applying for a job.... Would I just get maternity allowance? And would the employer keep my job open while I am on leave? TIA

thatstoast Tue 16-Dec-14 11:53:03

You wouldn't get SMP and unlikely to be eligible for any contractual maternity pay. I can't say whether you'd get Maternity allowance, it depends on how long you've worked for a certain period. Check out the gov website.

In terms of leave, time off for antenatal, returning to your job etc you have the same legal rights as you would have if you'd become pregnant after you were employed.

Last year I started a job at 21 weeks pregnant, so the above advice is based on my experience. I did qualify for MA.

hagred Tue 16-Dec-14 11:55:03

In the same position and curious to hear the answer to this also.
I believe we would be entitled to SMA, but I reckon we may need to complete the paperwork ourselves.
I think they need to keep the job open for is also as I can't think why this would not apply.

Guyropes Tue 16-Dec-14 14:44:43

Ok, that is really helpful. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now