Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sickness in work. help please.

(15 Posts)
Rebecca1608 Tue 16-Dec-14 08:21:21

Over the last couple of months I've had a lot of time of work (8 days to be exact) I'd been in and out of hospital due to bleeds and an ectopic pregnancy scare.

Now I'm full of flu, I'm shivery. Achey. Done in and it's knocked me sick. I'm not going in to work today I'm off to the doctors and I'm worried I'll get a warning.

Does anyone have any advice on where I stand?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 16-Dec-14 08:23:46

pregnancy related illness should not be counted so the bleeds/ectopic scare wouldnt be counted in your normal sickness absence.

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Dec-14 08:25:25

By law, pregnancy related sickness cannot count against you. Do those 8 days don't count and it's like this flu is your only recent sickness.

I am sure someone with better HR knowledge will be along soon with links.

If it is any comfort I had 8 weeks off in both my pg.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 16-Dec-14 08:25:30

www.maternityaction.org.uk/wp/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/sickness-during-pregnancy-and-maternity-leave/ says

If you are not well during your pregnancy, you should follow your employer’s normal sickness reporting procedures. Your employer should record any pregnancy-related sickness absence separately from other sick leave, so that pregnancy-related sickness absence is not used as a reason for disciplinary action, dismissal or redundancy.

Eminybob Tue 16-Dec-14 08:31:11

Any pregnancy related illness can't count against you legally so really don't worry.

Rebecca1608 Tue 16-Dec-14 08:31:40

Thankyou that's helped a lot. I've only had 4 days off sick the rest of the year and obviously today so hopefully I'll be ok. Just wanted a bit of information so if he did pull me up I sound like I know what I'm entitled to.

Roseylee20 Tue 16-Dec-14 09:51:35

Hi, I had nearly 3 weeks off as I couldn't physically do a lot due to exhaustion, 24/7 nausea, sickness, etc! I was around 9/10 weeks pregnant and had felt like it since 6/7 weeks. Give yourself a rest as your body is telling you that you need it. It does make you feel guilty having the time off but your workplace should hopefully be understanding. I didn't start to feel much better until around 15 weeks but I was able to do 'lighter duties' such as being able to take a few more shorter breaks to just sit down etc. (I'm a cleaner). Hope you start to feel better soon

Roseylee20 Tue 16-Dec-14 09:51:49

Hi, I had nearly 3 weeks off as I couldn't physically do a lot due to exhaustion, 24/7 nausea, sickness, etc! I was around 9/10 weeks pregnant and had felt like it since 6/7 weeks. Give yourself a rest as your body is telling you that you need it. It does make you feel guilty having the time off but your workplace should hopefully be understanding. I didn't start to feel much better until around 15 weeks but I was able to do 'lighter duties' such as being able to take a few more shorter breaks to just sit down etc. (I'm a cleaner). Hope you start to feel better soon

Rebecca1608 Tue 16-Dec-14 13:13:26

That's how I'm feeling exhausted. Been to my GP she couldn't give me anything just paracetamol or cocodamol @ a push. I'm almost 12 weeks pg and am still expected to lift heavy ish boxes. My work aren't very understanding. Just told me to phone if I'm not going to be in but GP told me to stay off. I feel I have to go back as my scan is on Thursday and they'll all be talking saying how funny it is I'm not in on scan day. I've heard them before about colleagues. My family have just told me who cares what they think but I do.

PeterParkerSays Tue 16-Dec-14 13:21:10

Have you had a work place risk assessment, because you should have done. It would stop the heavy boxes issues.

Roseylee20 Tue 16-Dec-14 13:49:08

Try not to care what they think. Although we all do care in a way what people think, don't let them know that. You've got to look after your body, as well as your baby. Your workplace cannot do much with regards to giving you discipline whilst your pregnant unless it's not pregnancy related! Your sickness is pregnancy related and you need a sick note from your doctor stating this, if you haven't already. My 12 week scan came within the time frame of me having 2 1/2 weeks off and I didn't think anything of it. Of course you are going to go to your scan, it's a lot different than working, and your workplace should think nothing more of that. Like another comment says, make sure you ask about having a risk assessment. I had mine a few weeks ago and was told which products I couldn't use, no heavy lifting etc. If you feel like you're being mistreated or unfairly don't hesitate to make a phone call to ACAS! Wishing you the best

KatoPotato Tue 16-Dec-14 13:57:05

you won't be in on scan day because you are entitled by law to be off! Your work sound rotten, insist on a pregnancy risk assessment sharpish!

Rebecca1608 Tue 16-Dec-14 14:15:49

....I've had one! I've been shown how to lift properly I'm still using sprays that I don't believe I should be. I've been told I'm allowed to go for my scan but have to go straight back to work. Although my scan is late in the afternoon and there will probably only be half hour or so by the time I get back. My GP just told me to get a self signing certificate.

Roseylee20 Tue 16-Dec-14 16:02:25

I've not heard of a self signing certificate, so I can't be of any help there sorry. I have been told not to use the aerosols and bleach spray. Other sprays are still fine to use because they don't contain something or other.. It was all explained to me and I was also shown all of this in the companies handbook. You should be too. I was told to stop heavy lifting, (I only lift plastic chairs and such anyway) but was told to use my initiative as to what I think is heavy as everyone is different. So I just dot stack the chairs up anymore, I lift them individually to move them. By the sounds of your situation I think you need to ring ACAS (employment law). They helped me a lot in one of my previous jobs!

Rebecca1608 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:32:50

Thankyou. I might have to because they still expect me to do tasks that I'm struggling with. Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now