Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 weeks pregnant and d&v bug!!

(9 Posts)
anyothergirl Mon 15-Dec-14 21:52:43

The dreaded winter diarrhoea and vomiting bug is going round and while I was already fairly regularly throwing up, I now have a very bad case of diarrhoea. I'm really worried about whether this could cause harm or risk my pregnancy. I have read that it shouldn't pose a problem, just to rest and drink plenty, I guess I'm just looking for added reassurance.

Has anyone else been through this? I feel absolutely terrible.

Thanks!

Pinkrach Mon 15-Dec-14 22:12:58

I've had 2 try bugs this pregnancy, when I never normally suffer this sort of thing at all! All is well with me and I am 31 weeks. Just make sure you stay hydrated and rest up. Hope u feel better soon xx

Showy Mon 15-Dec-14 22:17:36

The baby will be fine but you will probably feel more rubbish than you normally would with a vomiting/diarrhoea bug as you have the extra demand on your system. Try and stay as hydrated as possible and rest rest rest.

Get well soon. It's going round like wildfire here too.

anyothergirl Mon 15-Dec-14 22:17:42

Thanks Pinkrach that is really reassuring! It just feels like I'm so sick, how can this possibly not have an effect on the pregnancy! 31 weeks seems a long way away - best of luck!

anyothergirl Mon 15-Dec-14 22:21:12

Thanks Showy - the plan is to have a sneaky day in bed with plenty to drink and watch a whole series of something mind-numbing!

vichill Mon 15-Dec-14 22:21:58

Yes I had noro this year at 9 weeks. The baby is so tiny it doesn't matter if you starve for a few days. Just try and take your multivit and folic acid and sip water.
I recommend reintroducing dairy slowly though. I found it made me very nauseous and bleugh for weeks after the virus.

thatsn0tmyname Mon 15-Dec-14 22:23:07

Your immune system is lowered to protect the embryo so you're bound to get bugs. I had the same thing at the same time as you. It was rubbish with morning sickness too. The baby was fine. Keep up the fluids and I hope you get better soon.

TheScenicRoute Mon 15-Dec-14 22:32:47

I had the same at a similar gestation, I was so worried, but at 29 weeks we are still going strong. Ideally they prefer you not to get a fever in the first 12 weeks, have you been going hot and cold? If not you'll be fine, if you have give your midwife a quick ring and chat it through with them. X

joeschmoesmum Tue 16-Dec-14 08:20:19

I had bad stomach bugs twice this pregnancy (currently 34 weeks). The last time it was so bad, at 20 weeks , that dr let me take imodium, after several days of diarrhoea. Only needed the one and then was fine. Found keeping hydrated hard, but managed with a lot of sipping and sweet tea. Although horrid, I don't think it did baby any harm. Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now