Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and mouth ulcers...anyone else?!

(6 Posts)
bumpitybumpbump Mon 15-Dec-14 21:35:05

Am 21 weeks and for last two have had continual and really painful ulcers around the edge of my tongue. Am worrying now about my diet but could this be a weird pregnancy thing? Didn't have with DD, so all a bit strange! I shouldn't really complain but they are so much more painful than they look!!

trumpetmouse Mon 15-Dec-14 21:42:00

I'm 11 weeks and have them in my mouth and on my tongue. Mind you I've a rotten cold now. But the ulcers made an appearance pretty much since I found out I was pregnant and well before I got a cold. Do you think it's part of the whole low immunity thing??? I hope yours ease off soon.

Itsabirdie Mon 15-Dec-14 21:48:12

Yup, currently 8 weeks. Started getting them all over my tongue in April this year, and I've had them on and off for a few weeks every 6 weeks or so since then. Dp gets them too. Doctors don't seem to have any idea what causes them, or even that it seems to be quite common. At it's worst, eating is so hard, but after a few weeks it always dies down. Not sure what'll happen with my current dodgy pregnancy immune system. Usually accompanied by a cold and/or sore throat!

GingerbreadPudding Mon 15-Dec-14 22:30:40

I have found the exact opposite, I normally get lots of ulcers but I've not had a single one since I got pregnant.

I have found, when I used to get them a lot, that using toothpaste with SLS in it is really bad for them. Sodium lauryl sulphate. It strips your mouth of its natural protective barrier. Sensodyne (some of the varieties, but not all) generally doesn't have SLS in it. Try switching your toothpaste - it really helped me.

Sillysausage2 Mon 15-Dec-14 22:35:48

Another one here, I get them regularly anyway but since bfp I'm destroyed with them, I think baby just takes every bit of goodness for themselves and drains you.
It's tiredness and being run down that causes them for me, few late nights etc and I'll get a load of them.
I'm talking my pregnacare and trying to eat better so they seem to be easing off now

Sillysausage2 Mon 15-Dec-14 22:36:32

I agree with SLS comments too, sensodyne toothpaste doesn't have it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now